Use of FSS

Kilstorm

Use of FSS

Post by Kilstorm »

Went to close my IFR FP after landing at Catalina KAVX. Dialed up 122.20 and in my GTN750 it identifies that freq as Hawthorne. Look at the chart and it shows the closest FSS is Hawthorne and finally look at the airport info and it says Hawthorne. So when I got a controller on 122.2 he said to check my freq for LA. Honestly no idea what he was trying to convey. So should I just of referred to FSS when I called as Flight Service Station and omitted Hawthorne? Did the controller think I was at Hawthorne airport in which he might think LA was the coverage area and there is not a FSS for each airport? I dunno. Feedback requested please.
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
Kevin_atc

Re: Use of FSS

Post by Kevin_atc »

It’s meant to act as a phone call to the overlying control facility rather than FSS. This is a paragraph from the “Getting Started” page:

Since we don’t supply a phone number to use when picking up IFR clearances at non-towered field, and since the center/approach transmitter may be too far away to pick up on the ground, we have a dedicated frequency which is NOT range-limited: 122.20. Use this to simulate a phone call between you and the overlying center controller (not Flight Service). Note: to enforce the fact that this is a simulated phone call that would be made whilst being stationary, or taxiing slowly, it is only usable until reaching a speed of 30kts. The reception will begin to degrade as you approach this speed limit as a reminder. You’re welcome!
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Kilstorm

Post by Kilstorm »

Fair enough but how does a pilot start dialog with a controller on it? I'm on 122.2 and want to close my IFR FP, I key the mic and say, "....?
Because yesterday I just said, "Hawthorne Flight Services N2710U" expecting an acknowledgement to which I would just of stated I would like to close my IFR FP.

So It should of just been LA Center N2710U instead of Hawthorne Flight Service N2710U?
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

Use whatever the overlying control facility is. So at AVX, SoCal.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Kilstorm wrote:Fair enough but how does a pilot start dialog with a controller on it? I'm on 122.2 and want to close my IFR FP, I key the mic and say, "....?
Because yesterday I just said, "Hawthorne Flight Services N2710U" expecting an acknowledgement to which I would just of stated I would like to close my IFR FP.

So It should of just been LA Center N2710U instead of Hawthorne Flight Service N2710U?
Imagine you're making a phone call to the facility listed on one of the approach charts for the airport. Or, if you recall which controller you were speaking with prior to them handing you off to the CTAF, you can refer to them by that name without even having to look at the chart.

This is precisely what I do when landing at N07 here in NJ. If I can't cancel in the air (due to weather or other concerns), they ask if you have the phone number, then they expect a prompt cancellation on the ground. That phone call is to the tracon, it's not a call to Flight Service. If you use the position name HAWTHORNE RADIO, the controller is really not going to have a clue, our team isn't trained on anything regarding Flight Service...only ATC.