Frequency handling in PE

HACKWORTH

Frequency handling in PE

Post by HACKWORTH »

Can PE controllers tell what frequency the call came in on?

I have had radio one tuned to ground, and radio two tuned to Tower, and have forgotten to hit the COM 2 button and called tower on COM 1. In real life when I do this, I get corrected (one would think that would teach me...but alas...apparently not). However, on PE, it doesn’t seem to matter.

I was thinking this might also be an X-Plane issue.
Keith Smith

Re: Frequency handling in PE

Post by Keith Smith »

They can, it's just a bit more complex when you use COM1 vs COM2. Normally, they just go by the last 'frequency alert' they received which might've said, "[callsign] just tuned to SNA tower..." (paraphrased). So, the logical assumption is that you'll be calling on that radio. It takes more work for them to wait for you to transmit, then run the command which shows which freq you actually transmitted on.

If you did this in the real world while one controller was working both freqs (which happens often), there's a great chance they'll miss it, too, btw.
HACKWORTH

Re: Frequency handling in PE

Post by HACKWORTH »

Thanks for the explanation.

One way to help me learn to always call on the right frequency is to commit to just using one radio. I think in practice it is good to make a call from both just to test the radios.