1st IFR lesson RL

Kilstorm

1st IFR lesson RL

Post by Kilstorm »

So at 50 hours total logged and with getting my Private Pilot over a year ago at 40 hours, I decided to start working towards my IFR required flights. So I went up with an instructor to do 3 different approaches at 3 different airports before returning to the home airport for my 1st IFR lesson. I had flown with the instructor one time before on my check out flight to use the plane at Concord, NH. Doing so I demonstrated an ILS approach to miss because I wanted to do the approach for my own fun under foggles and then a x-wind short field landing into Plum Island. So he had an idea of my experience level.

The flight was to be KCON Concord, NH (uncontrolled) xcountry IFR to KPWM Portland, ME Class C for the full ILS and published missed then Xcountry to KLEB Lebanon, NH Class D for the VOR low approach to the MAP, go missed then one more Xcountry leg to KMHT Manchester, NH Class C for the RNAV before the 14 nm trip back to Concord. That would build my Xcountry time as well as my IFR time. We've been having some crazy thunderstorms in the area with all kinds of pop up storm cells so it was going to be actual IFR time compared. Not bad for my 1st lesson in IFR right?

He filed the flight plans as I had asked and then I did all the radio work picking up my 1st clearance. I am full comfortable with all VFR and IFR radio calls thanks to PilotEdge. It feels great to sit with an instructor who gives the student the chance to shine and sit back and guide if needed. So we take off from KCON get into the clouds and then on top of some cells then have an active line of some cells infront of use. I see this on the GTN650, my Garmin Pilot APP and the controller gives me a heads up on it. I learn how to call up to divert around this as this is something not easily learned in the sim with the lack of good IFR WX. Perhaps with the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the ability see weather better including bands of rain we can use that aspect more as a tool.

So we depart the airways with a diverted heading and request to climb to 6K as well. Once clear of the cell we were given the chance to return to the airways or we could get vectored to avoid the other bad cells by saying south and east of them. We were cleared to BUXTO. The weather was 500 feet overcast with 1 1/2 mile viz and the mins for this approach are 276 feet and 1800feet viz so rather close to mins on the ceiling. I fly the needles, break out, do a touch and go and fly the missed. Did two holds and started towards Lebanon to the West on Victor 496.

The cells were all over the place and thats when I decided there was no need to push it for the day as IFR is one thing but with forecasted thunderstorms and no real front line but just pop up cells all over the place decided to divert back to Concord and take the ILS 35 and call it a day. So I did great. Worked the radios like a champ, flew the plane great holding altitude better than heading but overall not that bad and did great on my hold turns and keeping the Nav 1 ILS needles caged on the approaches. Heres some performace pics of my flight with the 1st one showing my over all with green lines are climbs, blue are level flight, red are descents and in the bottom you can see my vertical performance.

Then a screen grab of the weather report and some IFr charts overlays as well as the planes cockpit.

Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
Scott Medeiros

Re: 1st IFR lesson RL

Post by Scott Medeiros »

Well done Nathan! Sounds like quite the introduction to RW IFR. The fact that at only 50 hours, you were able to fly multiple instrument approaches and work the radios on your first official IFR lesson, is a testament to the power of using simulation for your flight training and proficiency. Most first instrument lessons consist of just basic attitude instrument flying, and approaches don't come until almost the 2nd half of the course.

Keep up the good work and self study. It'll make your training easier, and more enjoyable for both you and the instructor, not to mention cheaper vs. repeated/incomplete lessons while the hobbs meter ticks away.
Keith Smith

Re: 1st IFR lesson RL

Post by Keith Smith »

Epic! You're going to have a great time with your training.