Terminal Parking Spaces

realkewl

Terminal Parking Spaces

Post by realkewl »

First, I would like to say this is incredible. I've taking two flights and it's really nice talking with live ATC. Helps me stay proficient and helping me learn before I'm in the air. Great Job! Cannot wait to start learning IFR procedures.

Regarding the parking places, before starting PilotEdge. Is their a map to tell us where's there's an available parking place? What happened to me was I was sitting in my parking space, doing flight planning, while connected to PilotEdge. Then all of a sudden a Baron 58 pop into my parking space and caused an object collision. After FSX restarting then a C172 about two parking spaces next to me pop up and was like doing doughnuts.

Anyway to avoid this?

Thanks,
Ray
Daddy O

Re: Terminal Parking Spaces

Post by Daddy O »

Yep, use Xplane :)

Can't offer much for FSX, but the Xplane maps that Eugene and I have been building all include lots of extra spawn points, and not just transient parking either. There are spawn points inside of hangars, air museums, specific flight agencies, repair facilities, and more. You get real practice taxiing between obstructions or parking straight between aircraft on the line. And Xplane does not have object colission so if someone spawns on top of you there is no crash.

The airport charts are sketchy about parking, they show some general lots, a few of the flight services, but I usually use google earth to dig up the accurate stuff for the maps. Some airports have their own websites that better detail the layout.

It is a lot more realistic to start from a specific location on the airport, and at the other end park at a specific business, rather than just pulling off the runway and shutting down on the nearest taxiway.

I guess you could park your plane at a non-spawn point, and save the situation, and use it as a spawn point when you fly out of that airport.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

If you pick a truly random parking spot, you'll generally be in pretty good shape. If you pick the first non-runway parking space in the list at a popular airport, you're going to run a higher change of spawning over someone else, or vice versa.

I've had good luck in X-Plane simply swapping to the local map and dragging my plane over a few spots, that always does the trick.
Eugene Zaporozhets

Post by Eugene Zaporozhets »

Also, you can uncheck "Allow collision with other aircraft" under the FSX Realism settings to prevent your flight from being reset if someones connects at the same spot.
realkewl

Post by realkewl »

Not sure about x-plane.

I bought and tried x-plane 9.x, but one I found the learning curve high. Second, at the time, it did not allow multiple monitors, and had only had 2D panels. However, the more issues I'm running into on pilotedge (so far just two) I keep hearing the advice to switch to x-plane. Which I'm not doing, I have way too much invested into FSX at the moment. We will see when x-plane 10 comes out. Does anyone have a release date?

Also, disabling aircraft collision would take away the realism for me. Parking spaces is one thing, but I do not think there's anything that would stop someone from starting pilotedge on an active runway. Me...I try to keep it as real as possible and I'm sure everyone does two...but I have made the mistake before and forgot to switch my starting position and ended up on an active runway. Not in pilotedge of course.

Thanks,
Ray
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

There are people who suggest swapping X-Plane at the drop of a hat. When it comes to PTT configuration, it is certainly the case that it's easier with X-Plane. However, please don't feel that you need to have X-Plane to get the most out of PE, that's just not the case.

Regarding your specific questions about X-Plane...v10 is due out Christmas Day from what I understand. The learning curve IS high in X-Plane, more so than any other sim. It definitely has 3d panel support, and they're getting better all the time.

It takes time to gather up some scenery for the sim, a collection of solid planes, configure the rendering options to be just right for your rig (finding out how much you can push the CPU and the GPU), configure the controls just the way you want it, and to learn how to 'get around' within the sim.

For your specific collision problem, simply pick a more obscure startup location and you'll probably be ok. I will look into having the server reject connections for planes that attempt to spawn on top of an existing aircraft.

Keith