Ground Communications Questions

skyhigh

Ground Communications Questions

Post by skyhigh »

Disclaimer: I'm a greenhorn and just joined PilotEdge three weeks ago. I'm learning a ton though and I realize just how valuable PilotEdge is - great job admins!

I have a question about ground communications rules.

First, according to the AIM, 4-3-12. Communications:
"Pilots of departing aircraft should communicate with the control tower on the appropriate ground control/clearance delivery frequency prior to starting engines to receive engine start time, taxi and/or clearance information. Unless otherwise advised by the tower, remain on that frequency during taxiing and runup, then change to local control frequency when ready to request takeoff clearance."

However, this has not been what I have been doing so far. I don't call ground right out the gate. I first go through the entire pre-flight and get my aircraft ready to taxi (engines running) before calling ground. It seems by what I hear on the radio everyone is doing this. Or if no, what am I missing?

Final question is about switching from ground to tower. I've heard controllers tell me not to switch until instructed (and I'm referring to before take-off, not after landing) and others tell me its ok to switch at my discretion. Logically, I think the safe thing to do if I am allowed to switch when I want would be to stay on ground until I'm ready for departure at the hold line.

So what is the answer to each of these?

Thanks,

SH
Scott Medeiros

Re: Ground Communications Questions

Post by Scott Medeiros »

SH,
The first part would be optional. Aircraft with ground power connected or an APU can pick up clearance and check for departure delays prior to engine start. Small GA aircraft may elect to start their engine(s) first in order to not run down their batteries while talking on the radios.

When taxiing for takeoff, upon reaching the departure end of your assigned runway, you may switch to tower without being told to switch by ground. Not switching and holding short while on ground freq may result in missed calls from the tower controller who is expecting you on their frequency.
skyhigh

Re: Ground Communications Questions

Post by skyhigh »

Scott Medeiros wrote:SH,
The first part would be optional. Aircraft with ground power connected or an APU can pick up clearance and check for departure delays prior to engine start. Small GA aircraft may elect to start their engine(s) first in order to not run down their batteries while talking on the radios.

When taxiing for takeoff, upon reaching the departure end of your assigned runway, you may switch to tower without being told to switch by ground. Not switching and holding short while on ground freq may result in missed calls from the tower controller who is expecting you on their frequency.
Thank you very much. This clears it up for me.