Great Falls (KGTF) frequencies

dhplane

Great Falls (KGTF) frequencies

Post by dhplane »

Hi guys,

I got a little confused today.

I flew into KGTF, which is not considered a towered airport for the coverage area, and tried to use the Tower (118.7) and Unicom (122.95) frequencies to talk to the local traffic, but both frequencies were monitored by a controller. What am I missing??

THX... Joey
Keith Smith

Re: Great Falls (KGTF) frequencies

Post by Keith Smith »

The unicom (122.95)j would not be the frequency to use as the CTAF. You had the right idea by using the tower frequency. By any chance, were you attempting to do this on a second radio? There's no reason at all that ATC should hear your calls on 122.95, and I reviewed the transmitter configurations for 118.70, and I can't see how they would be hearing that either from that location.

I suspect that you were actually transmitting on a different radio, that would explain both the 122.95 and 118.70 issue. This would've been easily checked by looking at the online map.
dhplane

Re: Great Falls (KGTF) frequencies

Post by dhplane »

I was monitoring the ATIS on radio #2 (126.6)... but monitoring only, not transmitting.

I started to use the tower frequency (118.7) as the CTAF but before I could make the call I heard the controller talking to other traffic. That's the reason I went to the Unicom frequency, but was confused when I heard the controller's voice telling me I had the wrong frequency.

In any case, you're confirming that my first instinct was correct... I'll just assume it was an anomaly of some sort and try again... no reason to waste any more time chasing this.

THX as always...