Tec Route Format Question...

siegedan

Tec Route Format Question...

Post by siegedan »

I've seen some other chatter about the fact that the FAA sort of butchers the notation on the tec routes, so maybe this is more of the same, but I have a quick question if anyone is in the know. I recently flew the PSPP8B (Palm Springs 8 Brovo) from KPSP to KLGB. The route on MyFlightRoute is PSP V388 DEWAY FRETS KAYOH-STAR. Now, my assumption here was that I fly from PSP direct DEWAY, then direct FRETS, then follow the balance of the KAYOH STAR. The nice fella working that night busted my chops for skipping way points on the STAR (which seems to make sense give that FRETS is nothing more than another way point fairly deep into the KAYOH STAR). However, when I looked at the STAR more closely, it's clear that even DEWAY isn't really a valid starting point...in fact, I really should have picked up the STAR no later than BANDS (since AHLEX would have been backtracking and I had already been cleared direct DEWAY). Any guidance on why the heck FRETS is even in the Tec Route, and for that matter, how would a pilot know which is the next logical way point in the STAR after DEWAY given the entry points are all behind it?

Thanks in advance!
kullery

Re: Tec Route Format Question...

Post by kullery »

My understanding of PSPP8B, is that the currently valid KAYOH STAR is to be flown WITHOUT any transition. Since KAYOH is the "common point" for the both the HECTOR and PALM SPRINGS transitions, this is the beginning of the STAR when no transition is specified. FRETS is identified as the last waypoint prior to joining the STAR.

A few years ago, the segment from DEWAY to FRETS would not have been included in a TEC ROUTE as it is not flyable without GNSS (or other area navigation), but TEC ROUTES are no longer restricted to VOR navigation.

I believe that the controller erred when he "busted my chops for skipping way points on the STAR".
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
siegedan

Re: Tec Route Format Question...

Post by siegedan »

Very helpful...I thought the same, but I was a little shy to challenge the pro controller! Thanks!