FSX Weather

Colin Payette

FSX Weather

Post by Colin Payette »

I'm a little confused on how to be coordinated with the PilotEdge controllers on the weather. I set my flight to actual conditions, updated every 15 minutes. I just tried my V2 rating flight and when I tuned the KONT ATIS, it had runways 8L and 8R. However I was advised to enter the left downwind for 26L and so I did that (didn't want to mess up my rating). As I got configured, the winds were just tossing me around and it took a lot of power to get to the runway. I cut my approach short because I didn't want to land off the airport and the best I could do was try to soften my descent.

I don't know if this is what normally happens when you try to land downwind. It was... interesting. My concern is mainly that I'm not on the same page as PE on the winds.
Warrior N1021C | Cub N0614 | Lear N021Q
Private Pilot - Blog
FSX SP2
Kevin_atc

Re: FSX Weather

Post by Kevin_atc »

PilotEdge controllers use the real world weather conditions. Sometimes, FS "Real world weather" settings still aren't "real." One thing that's important to know, however, is that FS does not take into account the various factors that determine active runways. For example, at LAX, Flight Sim says that the calm wind runways are the 6s and 7s when we all know that LAX very rarely uses east flow. Generally, selecting "Real world weather" or if you have something like active sky will get you close and the ATIS will work for everything expect approaches in use and active runway(s). So, to determine the runway(s) in use or approach(s) in use, it's better to just ask the controller- never trust the automated FS ATIS.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Colin Payette

Post by Colin Payette »

Ok. I was just trying to be prepared by having the weather in advance. While reading the transcript for a V2 flight (http://training.pilotedge.net/object/v2Transcript.html) I came across this:
We make the freq change then contact socal. As we're fairly close to the destination airport, this is likely to be the approach controller responsible for our destination, ONT, so let's let him know we have the weather. That way, he doesn't have to read it to us. If there's an ATIS code in his ATIS, such as Information Alpha, or Bravo (etc), we'll check in with that.
If the simulator ATIS is unreliable, I'm not sure how useful it is to let the controller know I have the weather.
Private Pilot - Blog
FSX SP2
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

Your simulator weather is your weather. On PE, if you want to simulate VFR conditions or IMC when the actual weather is different from that, just let us know and we'll be happy to treat you as such, workload permitting. Stating the ATIS code (regardless of what that code is) lets the controller know that you have your weather information. If you would rather just say "we have the number" or "we have the weather" that works too. So, it's very useful to advise the controller that you have the weather because it allows the controller to omit the weather information which not only relieves the controller from work, but also will provide you with more efficient service in getting you safely to your destination.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Colin Payette

Post by Colin Payette »

Makes sense, thanks for the clarification. I was going to do this but forgot I should advise the approach controller instead of waiting to be handed to the tower. I'll keep practicing!
Private Pilot - Blog
FSX SP2