newbie needing advice/information

Fatcharlie

newbie needing advice/information

Post by Fatcharlie »

Good evening all.

Having done an evening of vfr circuits previoously I thought I would have a go at the V-02 rating this time - a Flight from John Wayne to Ontario.

I downloaded and printed the two airfield diagrams and put in a plan on Skyvector, as advised in the very useful instructional video.

Having sorted myself out and connected up, first thing was that I could not get an ATIS. I used the frequency given on the airfield plate,but there was nothing being broadcast - is this normal? After that, everything went as planned untill being handed over to SOCAL Approach. I was expecting to be given the frequency, but the controller just said "Contact SOCAL Approach, good day".

Hmmm.... I looked on the air map for some guidance but just found numerous boxes advising contact SOCAL Approach on varying frequencies, but nothing seemed to pertain directly to me. Which frequency to use???

I sheepishly asked the controller for the frequency - he asked if I required Flight Following. I answered in the negative, so he just advised me to remain VFR and stay on the Tower frequency.

Well that solved my immediate problem of not knowing what the SOCAL Approach frequency was. I completed the lfight, contacting Ontario Tower when overhead Chino. He gave me landing instructions and everything else went according to plan (as far as I know!)

So:

1) Clearly I should have known the frequency - the controller expected me to know it. Where would I find that info?
2) How can I get feedback and guidance on my performance - mistakes made, so I can improve?

many thanks,

Roger.
Keith Smith

Re: newbie needing advice/information

Post by Keith Smith »

Roger,

The goal of the V-2 is to obtain flight following on your flight between two airports. From the opening paragraph:
Now that you've finished your traffic pattern practice, it's time to go somewhere! This second flight is an intermediate VFR rating. It covers traffic pattern departures and entries, along with a request for basic radar service enroute, 'flight following'. Fly from John Wayne (KSNA) to Ontario International (KONT) at an appropriate VFR altitude for the direction of flight.
And from the first line of the supplied transcript:
N132KT: John Wayne Ground, Piper 132KT is at east ramp, request taxi to rwy 19L for a right downwind departure, flight following to Ontario, with the weather
When you coordinate this on the ground, you'll be given a departure frequency. Write it down. Then when tower says, "contact departure", you're all set.

Regarding ATIS, we don't supply it via PE. Get it from your simulator in the way you would normally get it (usually by tuning one of the com radios to the published ATIS frequency). To keep your life very simple, you can pick up the ATIS on the com1 radio.

As an aside, if you want to use both radios, one to get the ATIS and one to talk to ATC, that's a bit more tricky. In X-Plane (for now), talk to ATC on com1, pick up the ATIS on com2, after selecting 'com2' on the audio panel. For FS9/X, see the thread in the Pilot Client Software forum.

The goal of that V2 rating is to become comfortable with picking up flight following. By saying, 'negative' to the controller's question, you effectively neutered the value of the rating :) Give it another whirl and read the supplied ATC transcript closely.

Keith
Fatcharlie

Post by Fatcharlie »

Ah! Well I got some VFR nav practice! :-)
Fatcharlie

Post by Fatcharlie »

Oooh-kay.

After 3 attempts I think I finally started to get it right!

I remained on the tower freq untill told to change to Approach.

I got Flight Following to Ontario and managed not to do anything daft - as far as I know!

However:

1) The controller asked me to 'remain claer of Chino Delta Airspace at all times' I wasn't too sure what he meant, but assumed he meant keep clear of the ATZ for the aerodrome. In the UK this normally goes up to 2000ft AAL and has a radius of 2 miles (if I remember correctly) - was that what he meant?

2) Due to my radical alteration of course to the East, to keep clear of Chino's extended centreline, I ended up in a position to join Base, rather than Downwind, at Ontario for 26L. I was given landing clearance. As I approached circuit height I called for a Base join but was told not necessary - I always thought one should call for a non-standard join?

I hope these questions are no too tedious for you all? :-)

Many thanks,

Roger.
Fatcharlie

Post by Fatcharlie »

OK got it.

Class D extends to 2500ft AAL and, typically at 4M adius from the airfied - although the extent is depicted on the chart. Thank you VATUSA!
Brandon Grchan

Post by Brandon Grchan »

actually, the altitudes for the Delta airspace are also depicted on the sectional charts.
Brandon Grchan
PilotEdge Air Traffic Controller
Alex Stjepanovic

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

One thing to note, ATZs are more of an ICAO thing. In fact they don't appear to even be defined in FAA regulations anywhere.
Fatcharlie

Post by Fatcharlie »

Heh! And there I thought I had it sorted!

Where on the sectional does it give the altitude of the Delta airspace? Sorry to ask dumb questions :-( But I have looked and I can't see anything obvious (I'm looking at Chino's one).

If it's an ICAO thing and not FAA, why did the controller insist I 'remain outside Chino's Delta Airspace at all times' - especially whne I'd put in my flight plan notes I'm nervous on the radio and a beginner?
Alex Stjepanovic

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

Fatcharlie wrote:Heh! And there I thought I had it sorted!

Where on the sectional does it give the altitude of the Delta airspace? Sorry to ask dumb questions :-( But I have looked and I can't see anything obvious (I'm looking at Chino's one).

If it's an ICAO thing and not FAA, why did the controller insist I 'remain outside Chino's Delta Airspace at all times' - especially whne I'd put in my flight plan notes I'm nervous on the radio and a beginner?
Fatcharlie,

I was the approach controller that day. The request was in order for you to not infringe Chino Delta airspace(Being worked by another[tower] controller), of whose traffic I had no information on. It had nothing to do with radiowork(I recall you having quite good comms that day) or pilot skill, but separation. You can expect such instructions all the time, regardless whether in D, C or B airspace.

I'm not sure what you mean by "If it's an ICAO thing and not FAA"?
Fatcharlie

Post by Fatcharlie »

Ah right!

I didn't know Chino was operating at the time - I guess that might be the case in the Real World as well. We live and learn.

Thanks for the education Alex - one last thing - where _can_ I find the information as to the altitude of the Chino Delta Airspace? I;ve peered closely at the Los Angeles TAC and the Los Angeles Charts, but I can't see anything obvious about how high it goes - I am assuing the dotted circular line is the horizontal extent - is the number in the dotted blue box anything to do with it?

The comment about ICAO/FAA was based on your previous comment - it didn't make sense to me if the FAA don't define it, to include it in an ATC instruction, but your explanation makes it clear.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.

Cheers,

Roger.