Sky High 2 VFR on Top communication?

Sky High 2 VFR on Top communication?

Postby Dean33 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:09 pm

I have just completed (passed) the Scenario 2.

I chose the third option for leaving TOAS where the briefing says specifically:

"Do not file IFR, simply call ATC and request a “climb to VFR on top” and let them issue the clearance. Let them know you plan to climb to 12,500 if you use this option."

I did this (and repeated it word for word) but the controller (who tried really hard) insisted I needed an IFR for this and it had to be at 12,000. I felt this was wrong.

What made it worse was I had pre-filed my IFR leg from Brazo so 1) that got amended and then 2) when I needed it approaching Brazo it wasn't there!

One other problem. I am struggling to file flight plans through the new P3D app. I keep getting error messages 'number expected'. Problem is it does not tell you which field is not as expected. Can this be debugged or desensitized in some way?

Great experience though. And after 2 hours when my engines cut out on finals to Durango I screamed - but got on the ground - just!

The cowboy poetry was moving!
Dean33

UK P3DV4 Simmer
Pilotedge - I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - MTS800 256GB M.2, 1TB HDD 7200.
Dean33

Re: Sky High 2 VFR on Top communication?

Postby Keith Smith » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:59 am

Dean,

I've updated the text of the rating to be 100% clear that the flight plan which you file for BRAZO-KDRO should be exactly that, BRAZO as the origin and KDRO as the destination. This will avoid cases of pilots filing an IFR flight plan from KSKX to KDRO, then calling for a climb to VFR on top to the Taos VOR.

You are correct, you should've been able to pick up the climb to VFR on top without filing. That's been addressed with the controller as of now.

Real world IFR system allows for multiple flight plans to be in the system at once, hence, in r/w you could file BRAZO to DRO, then call for climb to VFR on top to Taos, then cancel, then later pick up your IFR from BRAZO to DRO. Doing that on PE requires the controller to NOT turf your BRAZO to DRO leg. I've issued guidance asking them not to remove the BRAZO to DRO flight plan where possible, however, it is not a bad idea to delay filing the BRAZO to DRO leg until you're midway through the VFR portion.

This was addressed in the "some notes before you bolt out the door" section in bullet point #4:
PilotEdge doesn’t support multiple flight plans being on file. However, you can delaying the filing of the BRAZO-KDRO plan until you have canceled the first IFR flight plan. This is easily done on PE since you can file a flight plan through the pilot client at any point.

Regarding the filing error that you're receiving, it's likely that you have a colon in one of the fields (probably the time based fields). Remove the colons and you should be fine.
Keith Smith

Re: Sky High 2 VFR on Top communication?

Postby Dean33 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:55 am

Thanks Keith

I’ll give this section another try tonight. Like you I prefer to fly and see the scenery. After months in sunny SOCAL it is so disorientating to be in cloud.
Things like leaving the flaps and wheels down don’t help when your trying hard to climb out of the soup!

Great new series though.

Dean
Dean33

UK P3DV4 Simmer
Pilotedge - I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - MTS800 256GB M.2, 1TB HDD 7200.
Dean33

Return to Sky High Charters