Networked Client wont work - Help

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
XOrionFE

Networked Client wont work - Help

Post by XOrionFE »

I know this has been brought up before by someone back in October as I read the thread but it would be really nice to get a network version of the client running. When using this with a full simulator it is not desirable to run the client on the same computer as FSX for many reasons. One, the main fsx computer in this type of setup is used to put up outside visuals only and no client windows can be popping up on the main display. Second, FSX has a good sound system and the soundcard is generally going to be setup for a surround system in a full simulator cockpit and thus having PE client needing access to the sound card and seperate headphones and mic is a pain and hard to manage. Much better to use a networked PC with seperate sound card. What is the status of having a proper running network client version of PE. Right now the application wont even start.

Note that I went ahead tonight and loaded on the fsx PC but could not select the sound to come out of headphones only. In Squak box you have the option of selecting your input source as well as your outputs. For whatever reason the PE version doesn't allow selections as the drop downs appear to be empty. I do have Squak box loaded and I tested it and have no issues so it is not my setup.

Scott
TexFly

Re: Networked Client wont work - Help

Post by TexFly »

I have tried once to configure a multiple pc PE myself with no success. I will try again soon. In the pass I was able to use SB on multiple pc and I remember that the sound card selected is still on the main PC. The multiple pc configuration will avoid the annoying and unrealistic transponder console on the main screen. Plus, since Simconnect doesn't have a transponder variable, when the offsets will be working properly we can configure buttons to manage the XPDR. That's also what I want to accomplish.
Alex (N705AT)
Check out my sim: http://www.createandsolve.com
Sabre

Post by Sabre »

XOrionFE wrote: Note that I went ahead tonight and loaded on the fsx PC but could not select the sound to come out of headphones only. In Squak box you have the option of selecting your input source as well as your outputs. For whatever reason the PE version doesn't allow selections as the drop downs appear to be empty. I do have Squak box loaded and I tested it and have no issues so it is not my setup.

Scott
Scott,

Try this verbatim:
1) Set the HEADSET to be the default playback device (and default
recording device)

2) Start PilotEdge (do NOT connect, since the sim isn't running yet)

3) Now set the SPEAKERS to be the default playback device again (this won't affect PilotEdge, it was already running and has already opened up the headset as its audio device)

4) Start FS2004/FSX, position the aircraft at the ramp

5) Connect PilotEdge to the network. You should now have ambient noises from the speakers and ATC audio in the headset.Keith Smith
Sabre

Post by Sabre »

It didn't work for me first, but then I repeated each step carefully and got 2 separate audio feeds as described. Works very well. Unfortunately you need to repeat this prior to each session, not too difficult though. After connection I go to Full Screen and forget about the small nuisance.

Sabre.
XOrionFE

Post by XOrionFE »

Thank you Sabre but that doesn't answer the original question. I had read that post and tried it and it does work but that is only with PE on the main FSX computer in my simulator setup and is not where I want it to be. I have my mics and headsets working just perfect with SB on Vatsim networked from another PC with Simconnect and that is where I want to run PE from. I don't want to have to be monkeying around with moving headsets back and forth and messing with the PE program loading on the FSX PC. In other words...the PE software needs to be fixed...especially as this is a paid service.

Scott
Sabre

Post by Sabre »

Scott, I connected to PE from the Client PC with no problem. Just run the installer both on the host and client (which I'm sure you did). I had the Transponder console up on the main PC and I saw the PE traffic while pilotedge_fsx.exe was running on the Client. I didn't check the audio though! I'll test it tonight. I didn't see any fps drop (as Keith warned), but my rig is fast enough.

Sabre.
XOrionFE

Post by XOrionFE »

Interesting. It wouldnt run at all on my client PC. It errors out. Do you have FSX loaded on the client PC as well? What OS is it? Mine is just a Windows XP pc. I have Sqwauk Box running fine on it along with Active Sky and simconnect to connect to the main FSX PC and they all work fine but when I try to run the PE software it bombs out with an error message saying it failed to start becuase the application configuration is incorrect and to try to reinstall. Of course I have done that and there is no way for me to configure anything when it wont even start so I am at a loss. I just figured it was doing that because it is looking for fsx.exe on the PC but maybe it is something else. Anyway, let me know what you are running on yours.

Thank you for helping!
Scott
Sabre

Post by Sabre »

XOrionFE wrote:Interesting. It wouldnt run at all on my client PC. It errors out. Do you have FSX loaded on the client PC as well? What OS is it? Mine is just a Windows XP pc. I have Sqwauk Box running fine on it along with Active Sky and simconnect to connect to the main FSX PC and they all work fine but when I try to run the PE software it bombs out with an error message saying it failed to start becuase the application configuration is incorrect and to try to reinstall. Of course I have done that and there is no way for me to configure anything when it wont even start so I am at a loss. I just figured it was doing that because it is looking for fsx.exe on the PC but maybe it is something else. Anyway, let me know what you are running on yours.

Thank you for helping!
Scott
Scott,

FSX is only on the main machine Win7 x64, Client is WinXP sp3, no error messages in the PE console on the client, normal feed of lines. Unfortunately it's too late here already, so I'll look into it and bring more details tomorrow.

Sabre.
Sabre

Post by Sabre »

I've checked though, I can see PE's traffic but no sound to some reason...Need more time with it.

Sabre.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The version of SimConnect that SHIPS with the current PE client is an older version that isn't compatible with the version of SimConnect that was used to BUILD the PE client.

The short term solution is to install the FSX SP2 version of SimConnect. With that installed, you should be able to run PE on a remote machine. You'll need to configure FSX machine to enable SimConnect connections, and you'll need to configure the remote PE machine to connect to FSX. This has been covered in other posts, and will eventually be documented on the main PE site. For now, it's not an officially supported configuration.