Shared Cockpit

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
maxlago

Shared Cockpit

Post by maxlago »

I'm not sure this is the best area to post it, but I think it could be appropriate for new users, so there it goes:

I tried to hold an instruction type section with a new user I brought in (MM), as he's still a little tentative and hesitant to speak English here on PE (I guess it could happen a lot with new, foreign users, so the experience will be extremely valid).

We first created a section outside of the coverage area, but connected to the PE so that we could see each others planes. I simulated ATC so that he could get familiar with the phraseology, read backs, etc. it went fine.

Then we created a spygames section so that we could share the aircraft and I could help him and take over the mic if necessary, just like an instructor would do. We connected again to PE, this time inside the coverage area, but for some reason, we could not be heard by the PE controllers. We tried dropping and connecting again, from the ground at KEMT, then from the air, and finally from the ground at LAX, with no response. Sometimes we could hear the controllers talking with other users, so we know we had connection. Hopefully we didn't block others communications. Any light you could shed on the proper procedure to share an aircraft on PE, will be appreciated.

As always, thanks for the great job at PE
Keith Smith

Re: Shared Cockpit

Post by Keith Smith »

Max,

Shared cockpit operations are not yet supported on PE. We need to make a couple of small changes which will allow you to establish a shared cockpit (they way you do now), then allow both parties to connect to PilotEdge, with one of the aircraft being invisible on the network (so that controllers don't see two aircraft). It would also need to be setup so that the co-pilot (invisible) wouldn't see the main aircraft (but everyone else would).

In the mean time, I would suggest introducing your friend to our Pilot Training program. It contains 3 VFR flights and 11 IFR flights that step through an increasingly complex series of interactions. It comes with ATC transcripts, video briefings, and a lot of supporting material to help people learn the ropes of being an online pilot.

You can monitor your friend's progress by parking at the ramp at the same airport as him and tuning in to the same frequency. You can use an out-of-band communications tool (such as TeamSpeak) to communicate with each other, as though you were sitting in the same aircraft. For local pattern work, for example, your friend should become proficient in conducting that operation solo and THEN attempt it online, with the only new variable being the ATC communications. You can then coach him on the ATC communications via TeamSpeak (I can send you our TS server details if you like) while you listen in on his flight.