Cannot Install PE

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
Mark Hargrove

Cannot Install PE

Post by Mark Hargrove »

pesetup.exe gets 93% through the installation process on my Win7 x64 system (with a good installation of FSX/Acceleration Pack) and then dies. The error dialog just says 'pesetup.exe has stopped working'. The installation was run 'As Administrator'. I have tried rebooting before retrying the installation, installing to a different location, and even re-downloading the installer. Every installation attempt dies at the same place -- 93 or 94% of the way through the installation process.

What can I do to get PE installed?

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
Mark Hargrove

Re: Cannot Install PE

Post by Mark Hargrove »

Well, other than my curiosity of why this is happening, this can be disregarded. Even though the installation reports as failing it appears that it actually does install correctly -- at least, I'm able to run the client, configure it, connect to the PE service and talk to a controller. I still don't have any idea what exactly is supposed to happen in the very last bit of the installation process, but it seems like all of the important stuff worked.

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Mark,

That's a new one! Can you tell if anything is missing? Is there a start menu item? Is there an option to uninstall PilotEdge from Control Panel's program list?

I'm trying to work out which step was causing the error, although I'm glad to hear you're up and running, of course.
Kyle Rosenquist

Post by Kyle Rosenquist »

I too have experienced the same exact issue, but am still able to run the client and connect to the network. I've tried installing it on my desktop and my networked laptop (both Win7 x64) with the same result.

Prior to the PE days, I was able to install SB4 without a problem on both computers. When installing PE (the first build with the full installer instead of the initial SB4 + PE patch), I first noticed this problem. Uninstalling SB4 didn't fix it, and the same problem propagated to the old SB4 when trying to reinstall it. Could be just a coincidence, but this too happened on both of my computers.

Even with the freezes during the install, the PE client does show up in the Program Manager list, and I do see an icon on my desktop.
Mark Hargrove

Post by Mark Hargrove »

Kevin,

As best as I can tell, nothing seems to be missing. I have shortcuts in my start menu for both versions of PE, for the uninstaller and for the User Guide. I did not get a desktop icon, but I don't recall if there is supposed to be one. This is the second computer I've installed PE on (I'm playing around with multi-PC, multi-monitor setups and recently changed which PC was my 'master' for FSX). The first install on an essentially identical PC (other than the installed video cards) went perfectly.

Kind of weird.

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO