More Realistic Sound?

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
Keith Smith

Re: More Realistic Sound?

Post by Keith Smith »

LOL. Well, I appreciate the enthusiasm, if nothing else :)
Sabre

Post by Sabre »

Keith Smith wrote:Now that the 3rd party voice library has been updated to production release, this should be possible. does anyone want to tackle it?
Do you mean try it out? Or develop a code on the Client's side for it?

I've just remembered something: I got this module years ago and never cared to try it. There's a description to it:

http://www.goflightinc.com/products/gf- ... ion-module
Front panel connectors on the GF-ATC bring your computer's audio connections within easy reach, allowing for fast connection of your favorite headset and/or microphone. Interacting with air traffic controllers over the Internet, or with your sim program's built in ATC, is made more realistic using the GF-ATC's volume and squelch knobs, simulating a real world communications environment. Analog filtering circuitry in the GF-ATC routes an "optimized for voice" signal to your headset, while passing the original audio through to your computer's speaker system.
The SQ knob must be the one inducing radio distortions if I'm not wrong. There are 3 connectors on the read side of the board as well. Will try it out tonight.

Sabre.
Sabre

Post by Sabre »

How about PTT clicks? Does anybody know a way to add them, when pressing the PTT button? Could it be added to the software project discussed here?

Thanks,
Sabre.
Sabre

Post by Sabre »

Sabre wrote:How about PTT clicks? Does anybody know a way to add them, when pressing the PTT button? Could it be added to the software project discussed here?

Thanks,
Sabre.
I think I can route the audio stream to PE via Ventrilo, that does exaclty that. And if I want to fraps my flight with the comms, clicks and distortions I can feed the audio from GF-ATC/Ventrilo/PE combined back to my FSX rig for recording. Sounds complicated but if you like me use PE on a network PC it shouldn't be too complex. The mess of audio cables and connectors under the desk is the real problem. If/when PE can do all the post-processing the 'More Realistic Sound' will be much easier to attain, of course.

Sabre.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Yeah, I'm not really interested in making this happen with hardware, it all needs to happen through the software. It's all technically doable now that the latest version of the SDK is available.

Once we have attained financial stability, I'll be in a position to add that level of polish. I doubt the addition of these features will attract a significant number of new users, though, and as such, as I have to continue to make commercial sales and support my #1 priority for now.

I know that once you use a product for a while, you get to know it, and you start seeing room for improvement. Believe me, I know exactly what I'd love to do with the audio processing, but it would be a mistake for me to pour resources into it right now. It is on the list, though, rest assured, and we do model signal strength on the server already, it's just a matter of communicating that to the client, and then using client-side post-processing code with the audio SDK to get the effect we want.
Sabre

Post by Sabre »

Keith Smith wrote: Once we have attained financial stability, I'll be in a position to add that level of polish. I doubt the addition of these features will attract a significant number of new users, though, and as such, as I have to continue to make commercial sales and support my #1 priority for now.
In my case I found this thread as I was thinking about making a PE-video, or rather some talented member filling the void and uploading to youtube. Of course there are other numerous PE improvements pending, that are much more important to the stuff, member-pilots myself included, than audio post-processing filters and inserts. It's just from my simming and gaming experience I can see, that nice youtube videos can be very good salesmen these days, that speak better to a wider audience, than just text reviews posted here and there. Sexy PE-videos from FSX or X-Plane might be even helpful to professional audience at presentations etc. I believe a good video with a nice scenery and some credible flying in PE/ATC audio environment can make a veeery good job in attracting of new users. The PE stuff is just way too busy for making those, no question about that.

Cheers,
Sabre.
silberztein

Post by silberztein »

Hello,

I am aware that as a foreigner, my needs are 99% against the flow.

Since Pilotedge has added VHF distortion, I have had great difficulty understanding some controllers' instructions. I end up screwing up a lot, to the point where sometimes I pretend to have understood just to avoid bothering busy controllers... which ends up killing both realism (I would never do that for real, of course) and fun (too much stress).

Afterwards, when I listen to the audio recording on audio.pilotedge.net, all instructions sound perfectly clear to me, and I just feel like a fool.

As I have no plan to fly for real in the USA, would it be possible to add the option of communications without VHF distortion? Such an option would be similar to the ones that already allow pilots to set their own weather or time of the day.

Best
--Max
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

Max, do you listen to the recordings with the same audio device as the one used when connected? It's possible that device adds more distortion so it would be nice to clarify whether or not that may be the case. I think you'll find that the radio effect on PE isn't all that much different that what you'll hear in a real aircraft.
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

silberztein wrote:Hello,

I am aware that as a foreigner, my needs are 99% against the flow.

Since Pilotedge has added VHF distortion, I have had great difficulty understanding some controllers' instructions. I end up screwing up a lot, to the point where sometimes I pretend to have understood just to avoid bothering busy controllers... which ends up killing both realism (I would never do that for real, of course) and fun (too much stress).

Afterwards, when I listen to the audio recording on audio.pilotedge.net, all instructions sound perfectly clear to me, and I just feel like a fool.

As I have no plan to fly for real in the USA, would it be possible to add the option of communications without VHF distortion? Such an option would be similar to the ones that already allow pilots to set their own weather or time of the day.

Best
--Max
Max, make sure your playback volume isn't too loud. If you're in X-Plane, your "Radio" slider within your xplane sound settings should be right around 50%. If you're in FSX/P3D, the volume slider in the pilot client settings should also be at 50%. If you have these too high, you risk having ATC being over-distorted.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
silberztein

Post by silberztein »

@Markus: thanks for your answer.

I do not change any hardware setting: right after I quit XPlane 11, I do not remove my headset nor do I tweak the volume: I go directly to the pilotedge web site to listen to the past hour of ZLA recording. There, audio recording is crystal clear.

Note that when connecting to Pilotedge from inside XPlane, I get a perfectly clear "Connected to Pilotedge". I understand Pilotedge's local ATIS with no problem even though I hear distortion.

What puzzles me is that I get high distortion even when local; for instance, when parked in KBUR and calling KBUR Clearance, or right above SMO at 2500" and in contact with KSMO etc.

@Kevin: thanks for your advice. I do have my headset's volume set to 15%, but in Xplane, my "Master", "ATC" and "Copilot" volume settings are to 100% (to hear better): I will set Master and ATC to 50% and silence the inexistant copilot, and let you know if that solves the problem.