Bluetooth aviation headset as bluetooth audio device?

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
theskunk

Bluetooth aviation headset as bluetooth audio device?

Post by theskunk »

Hi guys,

I'm getting ready to buy a new headset, probably a zulu.2, and I'm wondering if i'd be able to use the bluetooth audio link to connect to PE.

I'm currently suffering from the horrible 'silent volume in FSX' issue, and i'm wondering if that'll allow me to get away with not having to buy a second sound card, since i'm buying the headset anyways.

Thanks!
Keith Smith

Re: Bluetooth aviation headset as bluetooth audio device?

Post by Keith Smith »

What's the horrible silent volume issue in FSX?

Do you have the ATC playing through speakers or a headset at the moment?

Regarding the Bluetooth link, as long as you can set it as your default playback device in Windows, you can use it. On the FSX side, you can configure the sim to specifically use your soundcard (driving the speakers), rather than the default playback device.

Regarding volume in general, you can always increase the master volume and reduce the FSX volume (either within FSX itself, or through the Windows mixer, which allows per-app volume settings, at least in Windows 7).

Keith
theskunk

Re: Bluetooth aviation headset as bluetooth audio device?

Post by theskunk »

Keith,

Thanks for the feedback - I'll probably give it a try since I'm planning on getting the one with the bluetooth anyways... I've found that when trying to depart from within the SFRA, it makes life much easier to call flight services from inside the plane and set everything up. It also helps when I'm already in the plane and realize I forgot... then shutdown, get out, and do it all over again :)

As for the sound issue -- I don't have the problem with x-plane -- default seems great. In FSX, I usually fly late at night and that requires me to have ALL sound coming from my headphones. I've played with the 4 sliders in FSX, and it seems that anytime I do this, the PE becomes too quiet to even hear, as I found out last night. When I adjust the master volume, things become a little bit better, but so far the only result I've had that works with PE/FSX is to uncheck the engine volume slider, uncheck the outside aircraft slider, and then turn my headset itself all the way up. This works well, until I get a stall warning, or other cockpit noise as that is the only thing still turned on within FSX. The master volume slider seems to affect PE when I'm *not* inside of FSX, and others on the forum have reported that using separate sound devices will fix this problem, resulting in my question around using a bluetooth audio device instead of my headset that runs direct out of the computer speakers.

Does this clarify things a bit more?