New member - some questions

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
Marcus Becker

Re: New member - some questions

Post by Marcus Becker »

RZ786 wrote:Hi there. I'm new to the Pilot edge forum. My flight simulator set up will be ready in two weeks and I just did my first hour in a Cessna 172 at the flight school I'm attending for my PPL. I'm not that good with the Sim(FSX) as it's all new to me. I would just like to know if you have any suggestions on how to go about this regarding the SIM. Do I do the missions on the sim first or do I just jump straight into flight my own flights with Pilot edge. I'm still learning how to do flight plans and all the things that go with it. I watch tons of YouTube videos to gain knowledge... I'm happy to be part of this community and I some how don't feel all alone in this....I'm looking forward to a lot of learning and seeing all of you in the sky some time! :)
Do the PilotEdge Training Program. It will help you get used to using the sim and have something to aim for in each flight.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Hi there,

Welcome to the network. It's really up to you as to how you get proficient operating the sim. You definitely want to have the basics of handling the plane worked out prior to adding the ATC component. You need to be able to taxi, takeoff, climb, turn, fly level, descend, enter a traffic pattern and land to be able to get started here.
Frank Pate

Post by Frank Pate »

Hi RZ,

I'm just finishing up to go for my V3 rating and read your question about FSX. Without making this a topic for the FSX forum, I would suggest that before you log onto PE and go experimenting with FSX, that you find your way to be comfortable taxiing, taking off, working your radio stack, and landing. Perhaps read the training materials for uncontrolled fields and log in practicing at one of those in the pattern, being careful to listen to the appropriate common frequency for traffic that may enter the pattern. If you are behind flying the simulator because you are focusing on airspeed, attitude, altitude, then working with controllers right off the bat may become too overwhelming for you and it may be you that loses interest. The PE controllers are all professional, but they have certain guidlines that they have to follow to keep the experience for everyone online a good one. If your not familar with airspace rules and restrictions, then blindly flying and busting rules may make things uncomfortable when the controller trys to manage you while separating other traffic.

My advice as a relative newcomber to PE myself, is not to rush things. Learn the basics of FSX, read, read, read the training material and watch the videos that will get your started flying the pattern and what to expect on PE's "canned flights" that they have recorded. And most of all re-enforce the knowledge you are getting from your flight school and give it a try on pilots edge. Since you are just beginning flight school and FSX, then keep your learning hat on, start from the beginning, and you will have such a wonderful experience on PE especially when you want to brush up on procedures and tighten your flying habits. I'm an old retired pilot, and PE has given me the spark again. I may not be able to be pilot in command anymore, but PE is the next best thing to it for sure!!!

Good luck in your training! It will be one of the most exciting accomplishments you will have in your life!

Frank
RZ786

Post by RZ786 »

Hi Frank and Keith

Thank you soon much for both your feedback! I just can't wait for my flight controls to arrive from the USA. So I'll take your advise and post on the forum how things are going....I'll see you guys soon on PE in the air.... Thanks once again.

P.S. Frank I'm glad you getting the feeling back in your bones! Old habits die hard!!!!! Enjoy!

Rizah

South Africa