Image stuttering problem

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
kamarad

Image stuttering problem

Post by kamarad »

Hi,

I installed the transponder application and the IA application but it was not working as FSX was hanging on each subsequent start after the first install.

I removed those two application and just used the PilotEdge server on my last 2 flight but I noted a heavy stuttering. Every second, the screen pause a fraction of a second before resuming. This kill the immersion totally. The stuttering is very "stable" in the sense it is never going out. It's always there at each second of the whole flight?

Any idea what can cause this problem? or the intitial problem that makes FSX hang.

I tried the usual method of removing all others programs from dll.xml and exe.xml with incoherent results. Sometimes success in starting FSX followed by failure. Overall failure nine out of 10 attemps..
Pierre B. CGDXL
Keith Smith

Re: Image stuttering problem

Post by Keith Smith »

Pierre, I honestly have no idea what caused the hang with he Transponder/AI DLL's, and I also have no idea what's causing the stuttering that you're seeing. A large percentage of our users are on FSX and don't have this issue. That's going to make it very hard to track down.

One thing to try would be to connect outside our coverage area (Chicago, Dallas, Miami, Atlanta...pick one). Let me know if it still stutters after that. The goal is to see if this is related to the presence of traffic or not.
kamarad

Post by kamarad »

Hi Keith,

I ran several test yesterday and today to try to narrow down the problem.

I first tried your suggestion. I confirm that there is no stutterign if I connect to the server while I'm in New Jersey. it run really smooth. If I disconnect, return to KSNA and reconnect, the stuttering problem is back. So it is definitively related to being into the coverage area.

I also removed each .exe program from exe.xml and .dll module from dll.xml to see if one of them was solving the problem. The stuttering problem disappeard immediately if I remove FSUIPC4. But it's not a convenient solution. I tried this several time with and without FSUIPC and the result is very consistent. Each time I remove FSUIPC, the problem disappear. However, when I put back FSUIPC in dll.xml, the result is not as consistent. Yesterday evening when there was low activity on the network, it seemed that sometimes removing fsuipc, rebooting the system and adding fsuipc again to dll.xml was solving the problem. At least I observed no stuttering. But today this is not working and stuttering is tehre as soon as FSUIPC is in dll.xml. But I also notice that there is much more activity on the network today. so maybe this is related.

I downloaded this morning the latest version of FSUIPC from Pete page so I'm now with version 4.859m.

I also tried to restart from scratch by deleting and reinstalling pilotedge but no joy with the transponder or ai module. Still freezing fsx on startup after displaying a strange message that I never saw before that FSX has detected a risk with the transponder software. And it is not the usual message we get when fsx doesnt recognize the editor or the one that require confirmation that we want to designate the module as trusted.

If it is working for a lot of persons without problem, maybe this is related to somewhat unusual. My FSX is in french language and my regional option also...

Pierre
Pierre B. CGDXL
kamarad

Post by kamarad »

I made some progress today to identify the problem (I think as I made one successful fligfh).

My FSUIPC4.ini is used to start automatically several programs like TrackIR, Texture max load editor, FSXflight (connection to foreflight on Ipad).

I realized that if I stop FSXflight manually after connecting to Pilotedge, the stuttering is gone.

I restarted FSXflight manually after that and I got from FSX the normal window saying that the editor is unknown and requesting if I wanted to run it. I answered yes and voila!. I was on Pilotedge without stuttering and with my connection to the Ipad working fine.

I was not successful on the other hand to install the transponder module and the AI aircraft module (I tried again but not working). I remember seeing on the forum that the AI aircraft module is just there for putting the trafic at zero on the FSX settings. Is this true or is there other purposes for this module?

For the transponder, it seems that we can change the code directly on the transponder unit in the VC but the only things missing is the button for IDENT. If we select in FSX the option to avoid pause when switching between applications, do the controller see us on line or not? If he see us on-line the best would be to mention to the controller we are off the frequency for one minute then advise him when coming back.

Pierre
Pierre B. CGDXL