Geekiest PE feature request...ever

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
brianshell

Re: Geekiest PE feature request...ever

Post by brianshell »

Keith Smith wrote:If you're putting this level of energy into spreading the word about PE then I can't complain :)
You have no idea.... remember, it's in my best interest to get more people into your airspace. =)
brianshell

Post by brianshell »

djrisc wrote:So at the last workshop in the Q&A session we talked a bit about potential new features coming to the PE client. (ie. The high pass audio filter to make pilots sound more "radio"-like)
So I thought I should report that I actually got this working, although it cost me a little money to do so...

First, downloaded "Virtual Audio Cable" (trial is free.. $25 for the real deal). It basically lets you create a "virtual audio output source" that you can then map elsewhere. This gives me a new "Audio Output device" called "Virtual Cable 1"

Second, I opened X-Plane and opened the VSPro client preferences and told it to output the PE audio to "Virtual Cable 1" (instead of my headphones).

Third, I downloaded "Guitar FX Box".. (free trial, $25 for the real deal). I selected "Virtual Cable 1" as the input device, and then I selected my Headphones as the output device.

Fourth, I dialed in the settings for GuitarFX Box.. basically amped up the distortion and added some high-pass filtering.

WORKS GREAT!!!!!!!!! The PE controllers and the other pilots now all sound exactly like they're coming over an FM radio with a little static.

The hidden advantage to this, by the way, is that I can open up the GuitarFX app and re-route the PE audio anywhere I want without restarting X-Plane. This is particularly useful if you've got a co-pilot who wants to hear what's going on with the ATC... I can route it to the main speakers without restarting, or to the speakers built into my monitor.. or another set of wireless headphones.

All in all... $50 to get this working is kind of steep... but dangit.. it sounds awesome! =)
NameCoin

Post by NameCoin »

brianshell wrote:
djrisc wrote:So at the last workshop in the Q&A session we talked a bit about potential new features coming to the PE client. (ie. The high pass audio filter to make pilots sound more "radio"-like)
So I thought I should report that I actually got this working, although it cost me a little money to do so...

First, downloaded "Virtual Audio Cable" (trial is free.. $25 for the real deal). It basically lets you create a "virtual audio output source" that you can then map elsewhere. This gives me a new "Audio Output device" called "Virtual Cable 1"

Second, I opened X-Plane and opened the VSPro client preferences and told it to output the PE audio to "Virtual Cable 1" (instead of my headphones).

Third, I downloaded "Guitar FX Box".. (free trial, $25 for the real deal). I selected "Virtual Cable 1" as the input device, and then I selected my Headphones as the output device.

Fourth, I dialed in the settings for GuitarFX Box.. basically amped up the distortion and added some high-pass filtering.

WORKS GREAT!!!!!!!!! The PE controllers and the other pilots now all sound exactly like they're coming over an FM radio with a little static.

The hidden advantage to this, by the way, is that I can open up the GuitarFX app and re-route the PE audio anywhere I want without restarting X-Plane. This is particularly useful if you've got a co-pilot who wants to hear what's going on with the ATC... I can route it to the main speakers without restarting, or to the speakers built into my monitor.. or another set of wireless headphones.

All in all... $50 to get this working is kind of steep... but dangit.. it sounds awesome! =)
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I recently joined PilotEdge and was looking for a way to get a realistic distortion / noise on the audio. I ran into this post, which got me started. I followed the first half, getting a copy of Virtual Audio Cable to re-route the sound from the PilotEdge client. However, I was unable to get Guitar FX Box to work properly on my computer, being very old software. Instead, I found a substitute that actually costs nothing, basically cutting the total cost from the original post in half. I hope it's okay to add my solution.

The main software you'll need is VSTHost, which can be found here: http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm. It's an environment where you can run VST plugins, which are basically audio processing modules. You'll need Jamie.B's high band pass filter: http://www.kvraudio.com/product/jamie-b ... io/details and ndc plug's "Distortionator Mk2" http://www.kvraudio.com/product/distort ... gs/details. All you have to do is set up VSTHost with these plugins and set up a filter to pass frequencies between 100 and 4000 Hz, adding in distortion. Then you set the input to be the "Virtual Cable 1" as described, and output to your speakers / headset. You'll get a "great" sound.

I can post more detailed instructions if anyone is interested.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I have no problems with people posting solutions. Band pass filters are fine, but be careful adding distortion. There are some sims which transmit an already-distorted audio signal because they are going through real intercoms (this is most noticeable with the commercial flight schools). If you add distortion on top of that, it's going to sound a bit odd. Other than that, it's no problem.

Now that we have upgraded to the newer version of the voice server, I am going to add it to the list to work with a few volunteers who have been tinkering with audio processing for the client. We now have a much better SDK for altering the data, either client side or server side.

In the mean time, though, have at it!
Sabre

Post by Sabre »

Otherwise you can use a piece of hardware by GoFlight: GF-ATC. You can fine-tune the destortion and loudness with SQ and VOL rotaries, it's a small board, can be placed anywhere.
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

I'm not following up on the change-in-voice discussion above but, rather, the point that Brett raised at the beginning of this thread to add the "roger" buzz at the end of each transmission. Now that I would find very useful. Just hoping it's still on the "nice to have" list, that's all.
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
ianbennett

Post by ianbennett »

Hi,

Could some one post the setting you use in Guitar FX box

And a lit more explanation would be welcome , I am new to this type of software.

thanks
N119XD - Shawn

Post by N119XD - Shawn »

I did not come up with this on my own. Interested in a realistic FM sound I found this thread, got pointed in the right direction with VSTHost and VirtualCable as mentioned before.

disgracedpilot has a youtube video demoing the I01 test which I watched in preparation for my I01 test. His audio had that sound I was looking for so I asked him. I (very technical usually :geek: ) needed some help too to sort it all out.

Virtual Cable creates another audio device (virtual albeit). Makes your computer think there is another sound card in other words. This will give you an additional audio selection/setting in PilotEdge Client/plugin for your sim. When you select that in your pilotedge plugin, you are now feeding all COMMS into this virtual device.

The magic happens with VSTHost. VSTHost sort of acts like guitar pedals or effects that you plug into each other in series or parallel. Your input plug is the virtual cable, and the output plug is your headphones/computer speakers. You string filters together that the audio goes thru and comes out the other side sounding cool.

I hope disgracedPilot doesn't mind me posting the settings he offered to me. Image grr...image didn't work.I'll repost it and update. Image may not be working for me because I'm at work behind firewalls that overblock content.
and the video: https://youtu.be/qAK-AHJ21UA

In the VSTHost he strings 4 filters together. Jamie.B's high band pass filter: http://www.kvraudio.com/product/jamie-b ... io/details and ndc plug's "Distortionator Mk2" http://www.kvraudio.com/product/distort ... gs/details.

I'm at work and don't have access to DisgracedPilots twitch page, he has the filters listed there.

You basically string the filters together (if needed I can describe how to import the filters into VSTHost and how to string them together) in series. High Pass Filter, then Distortionator, the reverberator, then back thru band pass filter since range was added in distortion and reverb to clip the highs and lows again.

Test it by taking something like winamp, in options there is audio, you can select audio device, choose virtual line 1 and use some audio from pilotedge archives and listen to the MP3 thru all these filters and tweak to your liking.

I stress TEST before you join network and make life hard on ATC.

Let me know if this helps or you need more info. I think the sound adds to the immersion factor.
ianbennett

Post by ianbennett »

H,

If I can share my experience from flying in france. It is not unreal to change frq and have the same controler, this actually happens, and personnally i see no pb with it in PE.

The oerall realistic sounds would be a great add to the system, and would add to the training, in real world even so i have good ears some times the radio is so bad i cannot get all the controllers is saying and i have to have him repezt, this adding to the work load.
The ´perfect' sound in PE clearly makes my work load lower.

Cheers
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

If I may add my opinion - the constant "say again" may be detrimental in a learning environment (which is PE's ultimate goal). Real world training facilities with actual FAA-Certified set-ups likely have a solution on their side that they can manipulate radio clarity based on training needs. The crystal clear sounds allow you to get used to what ATC is saying, so you can anticipate it in the real world. If you can't understand the controllers on PE, then how will you be able to learn and "prepare" for the real world? That being said, if PE could add this as maybe an "optional" check-box to enable/disable (so as to not interfere with training facilities with established radio systems), it would add another dimension to the simulation aspect. Still, I don't see this as being high on Keith's list right now (and personally, I would prefer an expansion to, say, PHX, rather than a audio system unlikely to attract new PE customers). I think Keith has already mentioned this in a previous post, but I think his goal is primarily expanding the network, rather than on small features that would only increase enjoyment for current customers (although small details are what make a business/project/etc... exceptional).
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed