Geekiest PE feature request...ever

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
djrisc

Geekiest PE feature request...ever

Post by djrisc »

Hey Keith,
So at the last workshop in the Q&A session we talked a bit about potential new features coming to the PE client. (ie. The high pass audio filter to make pilots sound more "radio"-like)

So I was listening to Live-ATC, and I got to thinking, when people unkey mics in planes you get a .5 second blast of white noise presumably when the radio is engaging it's squelch level to cut the white noise out.

So wouldn't it be incredibly easy to record 3-5 of these white noise blasts from Live-ATC even, then programatically transmit a random one over PE when a pilot unkeys? Instant radio immersion.

Just saying..

Ok, so it's geeky, but it sounds straight forward to implement to me, and would be incredibly cool. ;)

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
PE: Skyhawk C172 - N8979T
Keith Smith

Re: Geekiest PE feature request...ever

Post by Keith Smith »

Was on the list already, believe it or not :) I agree, it's actually a very useful feature.
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

Awesome! Thanks Keith.

Yeah, I guess the more I think about it, it's sort of functions as a type of roger beep that helps people know when someone has unkeyed. So it actually has a practical purpose as well.

Thanks again!

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
Jeff N

Post by Jeff N »

Keith,

When is the "fuzzy" radio-like filter due to be implemented?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

There isn't a schedule. Most of the effort right now is going into securing commercial contracts. That's going to be what makes or breaks the company. Thankfully, we're getting there...at last.

For that reason, I have to put that ahead of the development of 'nice to have features' which will make existing users happier, but won't likely translate to additional revenue. There are not many people who are holding off on joining PE until we implement VHF audio filtering. We already have the most sophisticated radio system of any online ATC system that I'm aware of. If that hasn't got them joining already, some more audio processing won't change that.

Another reason for the delay, we have to upgrade the audio library to the new version to get the most flexibility when it comes to audio processing. This is also a pre-requisite for Mac 64-bit support, too.

So, once we're on the hew library (which I'm highly motivated to do now, as a result of Mac 64-bit requiring it), then we'll be better poised to work on this. I will likely reach out to the developers among the PE community to help with that. I did this a while ago and got no response on this topic, though :) There are a lot of new users that have joined since then, though, so here's to hoping that someone is interested in audio processing to get this done faster. Otherwise, I'll do it when I can.
Pieces

Post by Pieces »

Keith,
Dev here. I think I sent you a PM awhile back about working on little extra features like this, but I never got a reply. Don't know if you never received it, too busy, whatever. Anyway, If you are looking for volunteers for this sort of stuff I'm up for some side projects.
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

Developer here as well, so once you get to the point where you would like outside help, feel free to hit me up as well Keith.

I also have a full recording studio in my house if you need any audio recording/processing work done. (you probably don't, but I thought I'd put it out there. lol)

http://pic.twitter.com/Xq4OGmDa

Although, I have 2 white noise generators sitting about 2ft from me, so yeah, I could make the comms static easily. lol

Anyhow, just thought I'd offer.

Thanks again for the awesome service!

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Reece, you're quite right. I see that PM now buried among many others. I'm better at tracking email, that's for sure. I will drop a note to you guys to let you know how you can get started on this completely independently of PE. Then, we can integrate it when it's done.

Thanks fellas!
Tim Krajcar

Post by Tim Krajcar »

Brett, as a fellow developer and musician with a studio, all I can say is I'm suuuuuper jealous of your Prophet. Dave Smith sure does make some good stuff...

Although, I have to admit, I'm probably going to downsize the studio over the summer to build a home cockpit :shock:
Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

Tim Krajcar wrote: Brett, as a fellow developer and musician with a studio, all I can say is I'm suuuuuper jealous of your Prophet. Dave Smith sure does make some good stuff...
Tim,
Yeah, I'm a huge Dave Smith fan, and I love the Prophet! I also have the MoPho which is nice as you can use it as an extra voice for the prophet.

My two favorite synths in my studio are my Moog Little Phatty and the prophet.

I don't think I could ever downsize my studio, that must be a rough call! I'm a complete hardware synth junky.

I just got my Juno106 back today after 2 months at the shop getting the voice chips serviced. (Had to order replacements from Belgium) Things like that make me think I should use more plugins, but I love the analog sound too much. lol

Having a cockpit would be cool though, however my wife would probably stab me. lol

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.