Server down a couple hours early 2/26?

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
Bob Slocum

Server down a couple hours early 2/26?

Post by Bob Slocum »

Howdy, was on a flight from Bellingham to Long Beach in the MD82 when server burped or something. Dropped my flight and crashed my X-plane. I noticed it happened to the others on as well, so I figured it was server related. I had a great time flying into KLGB for the convention.... thanks for the opportunity, Bob.
Keith Smith

Re: Server down a couple hours early 2/26?

Post by Keith Smith »

Hi Bob,

The server itself did not restart or go down, but perhaps the net connection dropped (if you saw that everyone was logged out, that's the likely cause). The pilot client and controlling client do not yet cope with a dropped connection very well.

The version you're probably running, based on your description, dies the moment the connection is dropped. The current version, 0.6.8, survives a dropped connection (in the sense that it doesn't crash), but gives no indication that anything has happened, and still thinks that it's connected. If you attempt to disconnect (as a precursor to reconnecting), it will crash (because it's trying to send the logout command over a closed connection).

This is definitely on my list of things to polish up now that we have a more stable pilot client.

Obviously the desired behavior would be to have a notification that you've been disconnected, and then allow you to reconnect without it affecting the stability of xplane.

Keith
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Hi Bob,

Was ATC online at the time of the incident? I ask because I spoke to a controller who was online throughout the event, and he was never disconnected.

You're sure that other pilots were taken out at the same time as you?

Keith
Bob Slocum

Post by Bob Slocum »

I looked at my pilotedge map Keith.. and unless they all shut down at the exact same time, I saw no one after my disconnect and resulting x-plane crash... Bob