PilotEdge Receiver feedback

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
djrisc

Re: PilotEdge Receiver feedback

Post by djrisc »

Bob,
I will look in to the exception at startup if a file is missing/corrupt.

In regards to the map issue, was it launching the browser and not loading or was it just doing nothing?

Thanks!

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
PE: Skyhawk C172 - N8979T
Pieces

Post by Pieces »

I left it running on my laptop for several hours. I just got back and it had a "PilotEdge Receiver has stopped responding and must close" type of message. No information in the log file.
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Thx Reece. FWIW, I've had it on since this morning and didn't have that issue. I only mention it so Brett knows there wasn't a system wide issue.
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

Reece,
If this happens again can you screenshot the error that you are receiving?

Also, does your laptop have hibernation/standby mode enabled by chance?

Also, take a look and see if you have a log at: %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\PilotEdge\Logs

Type that in to your search bar on your start menu, and it should pop that directory up.

If you see a "pe-receiver.log" in there, can you send me a PM, and I'll give you my email address and you can send it over?

Thanks, we'll get these bugs sorted out!

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Calvin Waterbury wrote:Feature Request...

Pilots Only Option
Given we can always hear the controller it would be nice to be able to listen to pilot response only to help with the timing of transmitting. Might allow fewer occurences of transmissions getting stepped on.
That's a feature which is already on the list for the next build of the pilot client. Using the receive in conjunction with the pilot client is going to be tricky.

Muting JUST the controller will only solve 1/3 of the problems you'll encounter if you attempt to use this as an add-on radio while flying live on the system.

The other problems are: 1) when you transmit, it's going to loop back to the receiver 1/4 of a second later, which is very distracting. 2) if you DO have pilots on your frequency, you're going to hear them twice, slightly phase shifted between the real PE radio and the receiver.

For these reasons, we won't implement this feature. It's designed for people who want to listen to the radio without flying in the sim, or at least, without participating on the ATC frequencies. You could run it while you fly without tuning to an ATC freq, I suppose.
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

Hey all,
I'm updating you with a list of issues so that you can avoid them until I get the next version out. I already have these issues resolved, I just want to test them a bit more before sending them out to everyone. I will also be waiting to see if there are any other issues reported and get you a new version soon.

Until then, most of these issues can be very easily avoided.

Known Issues (already fixed for next version that will be released soon.):

1. Missing support DLLs will cause the application to crash.
- PE Receiver will now detect any missing files and will display a dialog letting you know what files are missing.
- Make sure that you always unzip all files when using PE Receiver, and place them all in the same directory.

2. Leaving PE Receiver enabled and computer (generally laptops) go in to Hibernate/Standby mode causes PE Receiver to crash.
- PE Receiver will now disconnect when it detects hibernate/standby about to occur, you will need to reconnect to PE once you wake your system.

3. When Auto-Disconnect occurs (when leaving PE coverage hours), "Disconnect" button doesn't refresh to "Connect" after disconnecting.
- You can simply click this button twice and it will let you cycle it back to connecting.
- I have fixed this defect and next version will now update properly.

Non-Reproducible Issues:
These are issues that have been reported, but I have been unable to have happen on my systems.

1. Unable to open View, Live Map
- This comes up for me every time. If you see this happen on your system please let me know as I'd love to get more information on this?

I am actively working on making this application better, so please feel free to provide feedback in this thread and it will be considered. (and bugs will be fixed.)

Hope you are all enjoying the new app!

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
Greg.M (Scaber)

Post by Greg.M (Scaber) »

I'm really enjoying this application. The main problem for me is that it makes me want to jump into the session and start flying even when I have other work that needs to be done.

Though perhaps that's a good thing in that I should have more incentive to get on-line as soon as I finish my other work (wife allowing of course!)

One feature I would like to see is a light or activity indicator so I can quickly tell which frequency to close if I'm following something interesting on another frequency.

Thank you for developing this, love it.

Cheers
Greg
matt

Post by matt »

Keith Smith wrote:If a Mac developer would like to volunteer to work on a replica of PC version, that would be great. I could conceivably build a command line version for the mac with the tools I have (in fact I already have one).
If you're still looking for help with a Mac OS version, I'm willing to help.
cvenable

Post by cvenable »

Looks like it's a .NET app given the Log4NET. If you used C# it would probably be a fairly straightforward port to Java, and then you wouldn't have to fool with XCode. Just a thought. Hey, maybe we can get a .NET vs. Java flame war going! :P
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

My focus for the moment is to make the windows version rock solid, and add some additional features that Keith and I have discussed.

I don't want to get sidetracked this early on with doing ports of the code, when this version is still just a beta. (I mean its been released for what 3 days now?)

If down the road once I get the windows version "done", then I wouldn't be opposed to porting it. (As I'm developing the Windows version on a Mac Pro booted in to Win7 anyway. :D )

That is if someone else hasn't knocked a Mac/Java version out by then.

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.