PilotEdge Receiver feedback

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
Keith Smith

Re: PilotEdge Receiver feedback

Post by Keith Smith »

There are others who have stepped forward to work on a separate Mac version, but I'll coordinate with Brett on that one. Brett, I didn't know you had a MacOS dev environment, that's good news :)

Chris, if a Java version was possible, then I would've built a single Java app from the start. There isn't a java version of the audio library.
Vincent Meier

Post by Vincent Meier »

I just found out about this little gem yesterday while perusing the forum...Great app(formerly known as a program)!! I listened to it all day at work and will continue to do so...

Thanks heaps!!
Vincent Meier

Skyhawk 172: C-FEGU
Baron 58: C-FEED
Cirrus SR22: C-FLAG
wdhurley

Post by wdhurley »

I just installed the client, and I wonder if I am missing something. I installed, extracted, and ran the exe. The program opens and I hit "connect." I don't see anything allowing me to choose what station I want to monitor.
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

Are you running a firewall by chance? Or in a place that is running a firewall on your network that is doing any port blocking of applications? (What version of windows are you running?)

If you got to that point it means you could connect to pilotedge to get status, but are having trouble connecting to the ATC server.

Let me know and we will get it figured out for you.

Also I will look at adding a dialog when that failure occurs.

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
PE: Skyhawk C172 - N8979T
wdhurley

Post by wdhurley »

Has to be my company's firewall. I started a hotspot on my phone and it's working as advertised. Thanks!
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

Yeah, most corporate firewalls will block any non-essential ports.

Since the first check is happening via port 80, that will be open as it's the standard http port.

The ATC server on the other hand is running on a port that most corporate firewalls will block as it's a non-standard port. (ie. not a port used for standard internet activities.)

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
PE: Skyhawk C172 - N8979T
cvenable

Post by cvenable »

Keith Smith wrote:Chris, if a Java version was possible, then I would've built a single Java app from the start. There isn't a java version of the audio library.
I suspected there was a reason for that but thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Hey, I'm an Enterprise Architect, annoying developers is what I do. ;)
wdhurley

Post by wdhurley »

I have a few ideas.. First, could it become a smartphone app? and Second, could it be rebroadcast onto the TeamSpeak channel? I think it could be a great selling point to prospective customers to listen in without having to even be in the system. I know quite a few members of DTP whose fear of the mic has kept them from joining.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The next step is to get this streaming through standard services, then it can be listened to from just about any device. That was the original plan, but it's non-trivial. This is a good interim step. Now we can use this tool to feed a standard streaming server, just need to get the hardware in place to do it. I have 2 laptops sitting next to me and an unused computer coming my way for precisely this purpose.

Please let the DTP folks know about it. They're all windows people (by definition, if they're using FSX on DTP) and have access to the PE Receiver app whenever they're ready.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

btw, we had a brief network hiccup today that probably disconnected all of the voice monitors. If you haven't heard anything in a while this afternoon (Tue, Mar 26), I would suggest disconnecting and reconnecting.