Time Calibration

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
Andrew737

Time Calibration

Post by Andrew737 »

Hi Guys

Does the PE Client Calibrate the Sim time to the PE network time or should we do this manually before each flight?

At the moment my FSX is set to 'use system time'

Thanks
Regards

Andrew
Anthony Santanastaso

Re: Time Calibration

Post by Anthony Santanastaso »

Andrew737 wrote:Hi Guys

Does the PE Client Calibrate the Sim time to the PE network time or should we do this manually before each flight?

Thanks
The PE Client is derived from another client with which I am familiar and I do not believe it has anything to do with your FSX time settings. In other words, if you have it set to "Use system time," then regardless of whether or not you run the client, it will do just that in the simulator.

The PE network time (as we controllers see it) is in Zulu time since that is the time reference from which the aviation world references. Since all time zones are a calibrated distance from Zulu time, the PE network time will always match your system time.
Anthony Santanastaso
PilotEdge ATCS
Private Pilot ASEL
Twitch broadcasts: Archived | Live
Andrew737

Post by Andrew737 »

Anthony Santanastaso wrote:
Andrew737 wrote:Hi Guys

Thanks
The PE Client is derived from another client with which I am familiar and I do not believe it has anything to do with your FSX time settings. In other words, if you have it set to "Use system time," then regardless of whether or not you run the client, it will do just that in the simulator.

The PE network time (as we controllers see it) is in Zulu time since that is the time reference from which the aviation world references. Since all time zones are a calibrated distance from Zulu time, the PE network time will always match your system time.
Hi Anthony

Thank you for the explanation. I do NOT want to change the simulators 'default flight' (which is in America somewhere - Nuggs airport?) so I will just uncheck the use system time option and manually set my time to Zulu time for the PE coverage area.

Thanks again
Regards

Andrew
Mark Hargrove

Post by Mark Hargrove »

Andrew,

Manually set the clock for any time you want, based upon the kind of flight you want to make. It's perfectly OK to set your sim time to day if you can only get to your simulator at night, PE time -- or set it to night time during PE's day if that's what you want to practice. Just as PE controllers don't care what weather you have set, they don't care what time of day you have set either (but I'd keep the minutes synchronized to UTC to make it easier to copy "void" times when getting non-towered-airport IFR clearances).

Out of curiosity, why don't don't you want to change the default flight? I do that regularly, setting it to whatever airplane/airport I'm currently enamored with. :-)

Also, just as an FYI, if you're running Windows 7 I found a nice little "gadget" a few months that allows me to keep UTC displayed: http://prestonhunt.com/story/110

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
Andrew737

Post by Andrew737 »

Mark Hargrove wrote:Andrew,

Manually set the clock for any time you want, based upon the kind of flight you want to make. It's perfectly OK to set your sim time to day if you can only get to your simulator at night, PE time -- or set it to night time during PE's day if that's what you want to practice. Just as PE controllers don't care what weather you have set, they don't care what time of day you have set either (but I'd keep the minutes synchronized to UTC to make it easier to copy "void" times when getting non-towered-airport IFR clearances).

Out of curiosity, why don't don't you want to change the default flight? I do that regularly, setting it to whatever airplane/airport I'm currently enamored with. :-)

Also, just as an FYI, if you're running Windows 7 I found a nice little "gadget" a few months that allows me to keep UTC displayed: http://prestonhunt.com/story/110

-M.
Hi Mark

Thank you very much for this reply. Actually it makes perfect sense and is 'sound' advice. If I go back to system time then the minutes will be correct.

A very knowledgable and late friend of mine advised me that FSX uses this default flight to 'load' default settings into the sim, whilst using another default flight (depending on how it was saved, state etc) has been known to cause problems with flights. If I really like an airport or country I just save a flight and use the 'saved' flight to load directly into that flight after the sim has booted into its default settings. Now none of this may be true, BUT, seldom do I get any problems with my sim.

So after my RW flying on Monday I am ready to begin my PE training following the Ratings section of the PE website - cant wait!

Oh BTW I will go check out the link to.

Thanks again
Regards

Andrew