flight plans are now sticky

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
Keith Smith

flight plans are now sticky

Post by Keith Smith »

The server now supports 'sticky' flight plans. That is, when you disconnect from the server and reconnect, your last flight plan will hang around in the system for up to two hours from the time the plan was filed or amended (by you or by ATC).

Now that flight plans can live independently of the aircraft that filed it, this paves the way for web-based filing, automated filing from flight planning systems, or even a mobile app for filing in the future.

This change was rolled out while making some other server modifications that were required for the FS9/X client, which is coming along swimmingly.
Daddy O

Re: flight plans are now sticky

Post by Daddy O »

Cool. That means I don't have to refile after a restart or crash.
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

I know you have tons 'o work planned for the plugin, and lots of features to code for, but...

Have you considered integrating the training curriculum into the plugin? Users could click on the plugin menu and select the training course they are going to complete. I mention this because Redbird has paired up with John and Martha King to incorporate training lessons into their simulators.

I know you don't think much of Redbird's equipment, but the move to incorporate King's lessons into their sims was a great idea.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Can you help me understand exactly what should happen if the user selects a particular rating from the plugin?

The list of hesitations I have about this is lengthy...but before I detail those, I want to make sure I understand what you're proposing.
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

Not having spent much time on the existing training materials on PE, I am prolly just reinventing the wheel here, but I would assume that they select a lesson plan/rating and the system would follow them through their flight and check off components as they go. Maybe even record the flight for an instructor to evaluate later, or add the info to a custom logbook as ground school time.

Although it would be a lot of coding, one of the few things I liked better about FSX over Xplanes is that they had those scripted tutorial missions where a co-pilot or instructor walked you through the process. Personally I woulda thought that something like that should have come with the Xplane dongles--for $500 a key (3 to 4 per simulator) you should get more than EFIS app and a notice at startup that you are running Xplane PRO.

While you are at Oshkosh you should go and spy on the Redbird systems and see how they are using King's training tutorials. Know thine enemy.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The core value that we provide here is pilot-pilot and pilot-ATC interaction. The training program is built on that premise, allowing pilots to conduct a flight on the network, and have it be observed in real time by someone who is monitoring the progress of the flight (a controller, typically).

We provide the required reference material people (or strive to, at least) to explain what is required of the pilot on a given flight, how to fly it, the charts/procedures, etc.

The workload associated with making the process completely automated would be enormous, and would not really add to the value of what we're offering. It appears to be a solution in need of a problem. What is the benefit over the existing training program that we offer?