AI Traffic Visibility

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
JWPE

AI Traffic Visibility

Post by JWPE »

This is really my first week to play consistently with Pilot's Edge and have been just doing the V1 pattern work out of John Wayne. Today on my first go around after I turned from base to final I was a little high so I pitched a bit to slow down... all of a sudden a heavy shot below me taking 19L. Not knowing that the game actually had wake turbulence I tried to come in directly behind him which obviously didn't go so well.

So my question is what traffic shows up on the PE side, is it just other players traffic or does it see the AI/NPC traffic that I see. I'm guessing since I wasn't told to increase downwind that the staff can't see the traffic my client is pushing to me. If that's the case should I turn it off or should I just monitor the in game ATC traffic and watch for those things?

Also when there's a crash do I need to let the ATC know I'm resetting or do they figure that out when you pop up somewhere asking for Taxi?
Keith Smith

Re: AI Traffic Visibility

Post by Keith Smith »

Which flight simulator are you using? You weren't specific in your post, and you posted in the generic forum. I can't provide any guidance until I know which of the 4 supported platforms you're using.
JWPE

Post by JWPE »

Sorry. Using Prepar3D V2.2
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

We don't disable the AI traffic in P3D, you'll have to turn that down yourself prior to connecting to the network. If you crash and reset at the ramp, we'll pretty much work it out on the ATC side.
JWPE

Post by JWPE »

I appreciate the reply. I'll figure out how to turn it off, or I'll keep it on and pay more attention to other traffic, probably not a bad thing.
Preston Martin

Post by Preston Martin »

I know this is an old Topic, But it has brought questions to mind. I am curious about military Ai traffic. I Run FSX-SE, P3d 2.5, and X-Plane 10. I frequently fly with a Virtual military group (FSX Miramar Flying Club) where we prefer to operate in as realistic a manner as possible. Most everyone in that club fly's FSX-SE, and we all love the Ai for our SoCal naval air stations. However, when flying online together, the Ai becomes disabled, and our airbases are empty (A real immersion killer). Is PilotEdge the answer to this dilemma? I am trying to wrap my head around your implementation of the drones. With that said, it leads me to a couple of questions:

1) While logged into P.E. Do we operate as though we were in single player, with the PilotEdge client injecting in user aircraft?

2) Do the Drones that are implemented on the PilotEdge side get installed with the software, or are the off the shelf separate purchases that that PE has made compatibility with?
3) We operate out of KLUF, KSUU, KRIV, KNKX, KNTD, KNLC, KNZY, KNYL and KNUW. Are the any Ai scheduled out of any of those stations?

I sincerely appreciate any clarification you guys can send my way. I understand that PilotEdge is not a Military simulation service. I am actually getting my eggs in a row to start my PPL here in the Seattle area. I am also a military enthusiast who enjoys those type of ops with other mature individuals. I think PilotEdge will come in very handy, and would like to recommend it to my buddies. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely, Preston T. Martin
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The FSX PE client resets the AI traffic to 0 when you login, then resets it to its previous level when you're done. If you want to override that, I suspect you should be able to go into the AI settings and re-enable AI traffic if you wish, even while you're connected to PE. We don't modify the AI traffic for P3D (simply because the mechanism which adjusts the AI traffic in FSX was an unpublished hack). We don't modify the AI traffic for X-Plane.

1) yes, the PE clients injects traffic into your session via SimConnect.

2) from a technical perspective, there's nothing special about the handling of drones. They are planes that are flying on the network, just like live traffic. They're not installed separately on your computer or anything like that.

3) KNKX, KNTD, KNLC have drones. The issue is that the drones were all recorded in XPlane which has different terrain heights than FSX. Some of the drone flights are high speed low level runs that clear some of the ridges by < 20ft. Due to terrain differences, FSX sees them as collisions and removes the AI aircraft from the session. As such, you won't be able to enjoy most of the low level runs, but you can watch the departures from KNKX, and KNLC. That said, KNTD has some straight line, high altitude cross countries to KNJK (and vice versa). You might enjoy following those. The departures at KNTD are low and fast with a vertical climb to 17,500ft for a VFR hop to KNJK. The arrivals at KNTD are fun to watch, too, with formation overheads of 3 separate flights within 60 seconds of each other. Unfortunately, one of the overheads is comically low (I just couldn't resist and thought the recording would never really be seen by more than a couple of people).

The overhead arrivals at KNKX are more accurate.

There are also a truckload of operations at KNID (China Lake).

KRIV and KNYL don't have any drones since those are joint use and as such as considered to be towered airports on PE.