Uninstall Help needed

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
boevad

Uninstall Help needed

Post by boevad »

Hi Keith,
You did too good of a job with the original PE client. I cant get it off of my system! :) I selected uninstall PE from my Start menu and received this: " Unable to open registry. To uninstall the application, open Add/Remove Programs in the Window Control Panel." Unfortunately its not listed there. So I went directly to the PilotEdge folder in my Program Files (x86) directory. Selected peuninstall.exe, and was told that I cannot run the uninstaller in this manner. I've tried running the uninstaller as an administrator but without any success. Any other suggestions? If need be, how do I go about uninstalling it manually? Thanks.
Dave
Keith Smith

Re: Uninstall Help needed

Post by Keith Smith »

If you're trying to replace it with the new client, then there's no need to remove the previous version, you can just install right over the top of it. If you're trying to uninstall permanently, let me know and I'll tell you which files to remove. Once you've done a few installations, I find the uninstaller gets pretty confused.
boevad

Post by boevad »

If you could provide me the list of files I would appreciate it. I'm uninstalling the original because I receive an "Error occurred when trying to modify FSX configuration files" when I try to install over the original version. I want to permanently delete the older version and start fresh with the new.
Thanks for the help,
Dave
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The error you're describing is usually the result of FSX being open while you're running the installer. Is that the case?
boevad

Post by boevad »

No its shut down. I just checked to make sure nothing was running in the background.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Interesting. In that case, I would remove the entries from the dll.xml file by hand. The files themselves live in C:\program files (x86)\PilotEdge. I doubt you'll need to clean the registry out by hand, can't see there being much to be gained by it.
boevad

Post by boevad »

Thanks for the direction. I did as you said, but I am still receiving the error msg regarding the FSX config files. Any thoughts about where to look to remedy that one. Again, FSX hasn't been started and nothing is running in the background. I'm stumped...any thoughts are appreciated. BTW - thanks for your patience.
Dave
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Wow, that is odd. The only two things I can think of are that it doesn't have permission to modify the files (verify the installer is running as Administrator) or that the dll.xml file has some existing stuff in there that it can't deal with. Have you found the dll.xml file and checked it out for yourself? I'd open that puppy in a text editor and see what's going on. You can post it here if you need me to look it over.
boevad

Post by boevad »

Finally, I had a few minutes away from the kids to take a deeper look into things. As far as I can tell, my user accounts were the problem. I have one as an administrator and one as a standard user. It was never an issue before as far as installations were concerned, but it reeked havoc with updating PE. I removed my standard user account, tried again, and bingo, everything installed as it should. Thanks trying to walk me thru this. Now, I have to find the time to go fly. Thanks Keith.