Student Pilot Wanting to Learn Faster

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
500nmMission

Re: Student Pilot Wanting to Learn Faster

Post by 500nmMission »

WmBurns, I'm not a tech guy, so I really appreciate the heads up. Heck, I don't even know how to get a Nvidia graphics card. I looked at computers at Costco and Sam's Club today. The Sam's Club Tech Experts phone line didn't have a clue. Guess, I should go to a local computer store who builds computer's from scratch. Should I look for one that is specifically into gaming?
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

If you are willing to put together your own "mod'er" PC, I can help. What I need from you is:
  • Your budget
  • any possible "re-useable" PC parts that you may have around. Example include PC case, DVD drives, Hard drives
  • any other preferences that you may have
I will put together a Newegg "buy" list based upon:
  • within your budget
  • Safe main stream parts
  • good performance for the $$
  • no over clocking
Note, I'm not going to pretend to propose the "best" PC configuration. IMO there are as many combinations as there are PC users. And many people have their own idea of what the "best" PC looks like. What I can do it give examples of a PC that will perform the mission without spending TONS of $$.
500nmMission

Post by 500nmMission »

I have two HP Pavillion dv5 laptops with AMD Turin II P540 dual core 2.4Ghz processors, 4GB RAM, 64 bit, 447GB HD. The graphics card is not listed on the page where I read the above. I'll look in my garage. I might have an old case for a desk top. Don't have a budget yet. Still shopping to get an idea how much I need to spend.
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Per the HP web site the HP Pavilion dv5 laptop has an NVIDIA GeForce video card so it should run X-Plane with the correct rendering settings.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... c=en&lc=en

Unless the AMD Turion II P540 has a separate Nvidia or AMD Radeon video card, it's unlikely to run X-Plane or FSX. The mother board video support/horse power is poor compared to the add on video cards. However these days video cards are cheap enough. The only real show stopper is if the AMD is a low profile desktop or has a tiny power supply (way less than 300 Watts). If so, the video card options may be limited by the video card's form factor or power requirements. But one can never know for sure until you try.

It's not practical to create a "build list" for a new PC without a real budget $$ number. Think about it. The whole point is to create a "matched" set of parts. Such that you don't spend more money than necessary on one part while spending too little on another.
Last edited by wmburns on Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
tngarner

Post by tngarner »

Just My POV.....

The sim will help you with process. When I was learning to fly the SIM was not at all helpful with learning to land, pattern work, or air work.

What is does do very well with PilotEdge integration is get you used to the process, workload, and situational awareness. These items are crucial so your time is not wasted. Work on the sim and PilotEdge to get your radio work figured out and to ensure that you can stay ahead of the plane.

Do not spend a bunch of money on yokes and accessories. Basic yoke or joystick will work fine, you do need peddles in my opinion otherwise taxi is a bit odd.

If you can keep up with the plane radio work on PilotEdge your cross countries will be a breeze.

I am currently working on my IFR and my instructor is fairly impressed with my knowledge and radio work. I credit this to PilotEdge. There is no way I would have been able to simulate the radio work and the process without it. It is easy to get on the Sim and just fly. It is only a game at this point. When you put the true workload and realize that you just turned 30 deg off corse because you were busy changing frequencies that is when you just saved a bunch of $$$ in a real plane to learn the same lesson.

The only other advice I would give you is do not use the auto pilot. Fly the plane. This is what you are learning to do. Using the auto pilot does not help build skill, it just shows that you can set the auto pilot.

Also for what is is worth. I use X-Plane as well. I use either the default 172, or a Bonanza that I bought since I am learning a complex plane at the moment as well. In hind sight, the default Barron in X-Plane would have served this purpose as well.
Marietta, GA (KRYY)
PPL-ASEL