Student Pilot Wanting to Learn Faster

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
wmburns

Re: Student Pilot Wanting to Learn Faster

Post by wmburns »

500nmMission wrote:Thanks so much for these comments! It appears my original question was move naïve than I suspected. I'll spend time with these resources after I take my PP knowledge exam on Wednesday morning. I have to admit that I spent more time reviewing them today than I had intended.

I very much doubt that am going to spend thousands to get set up with a sim, although I had previously run some numbers with the thought in mind that I would put together a club to buy a Redbird Jay.

Wonder what is the minimum necessary to spend to get some benefit? I would guess that with the cheapest software and almost no hardware, there is more benefit than cost.

I would also suppose that the median investment of the participants of this forum is more than I imagined that I would spend! WmBurns, what do you have into your setup?

More later in the week.
In your area of the country, what would you expect to pay per hour for plane rental with an instructor?

The thread does not mention if you currently own a PC and what "generation" it is. It would also help to know what your "budget" really is.

Per your request I updated my original response with the current prices from Amazon.

I hope that you see that you don't have to spend $2000 on a monster over clocked I7 PC. Or $500-1000's for a graphics card. Well sized and matched budget PC hardware can give excellent/good frame rates. But the cost of the PC does represent a fair percentage of the cost of a home sim. So if you already have a powerful PC, then you have a good head start.

But expectation management is also important. Some guys want to look at the window and see a total "high res" world. Complete with realistic clouds, boats, cars, people waving... I'm content to have a high-resolution dash and inside the plane.

The cost of the Saitek gear is not really all that rough. I have made compromises by forgoing the autopilot and 2nd radio. But compared the cost of a real world airplane, these prices are a bargain.

As Keith Smith points out, a PC, Sim software ($25-60), head set w microphone ($25), Joy stick ($25) will work. I have flown all over the world (Vatsim) using a $25 joy stick on a used ebay MB (Sandy Bridge I3).

Suggestion. Don't start out chasing the "prefect" sim. Start small with the basics. As your experience grows, add more. Upgrade as you go. However, I would suggest not cutting brutal corners on the PC. The PC is foundation that everything revolves around. But in the same vein, don't blow your whole budget on the PC.

Note the list price for a Redbird Jay is $2,490.00. There are tons of us out there with home sim set ups with far less than that amount invested.
500nmMission

Post by 500nmMission »

Passed the knowledge exam this morning. Now to get my arms around how I am going to learn how to fly. I'll check out the resources shared here in this thread. Thank you all.

My computer is three years old and wasn't all that awesome when I got it. Sophisticated graphics has never been a priority. Have been thinking about getting a new desktop and an iPad. Bought an iPhone 6 today. Pick it up Friday.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Congrats on the knowledge test.

I'd encourage you to check out the VFR workshops here: http://pilotedge.net/workshops. Start at the bottom and work up until you get to IFR, then stop. It might help put some of the VFR stuff into context with regards to airspace and flight planning.
500nmMission

Post by 500nmMission »

So much to learn!
500nmMission

Post by 500nmMission »

I am thinking of getting a Saitek gear and XPlane 10

•Saitek Pro Flight Yoke and Throttle Quadrant System
•Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals
•Saitek Pro Flight Switch Panel
•Saitek Pro Flight Radio Panel
•Saitek Pro Flight Multi Panel

MyPilotStore.com says I probably should start without the Switch panel, and Multi panel. They have a package with all the things listed above with a single instrument for just a little more: http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/8575

I don't see the need for the single instrument because it is on the screen and to go for six pack when I am ready. With no physical experience with this stuff, I just know. Any comments would be appreciated. The goal is to save money by learning how to fly with the sim. I have a couple of dozen hours of dual. Haven't had a lesson all year. Am flying with a photographer friend who has me at the controls about an hour a week. Free labor for him. No cost experience for me. I was at the controls in Class B last week. It is great experience. Feel like I am learning more from him that I was with a CFI.

I know the big deal is the right computer. I'll need a much more powerful graphics card than I have.

Thanks
tshuff

Post by tshuff »

Honestly you can get by with a yoke, rudders, and your mouse and keyboard. The 3D cockpits in most of the planes you'll fly are top notch and eliminate the need for additional panels. The panels and what-not are definitely nice, but I think a bit of a waste overall.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I've mapped CTRL-up, CTRL-down, CTRL-left and CTRL-right to manipulate the com1 standby freq. I mapped a button on the yoke to flip the stdby freq to primary. X-Plane is infinitely configurable.

If you're just getting started....I'd start simple. Wait till you have a real need for the equipment, then buy it. I'd take the money from most of those components and put it towards a beefier machine, or just save the money.

$20 joystick and $100 pedals here, that's it. Not saying you have to do the same, but I'd examine each component one at a time and see what you really need. Remember, you can always add it later.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Small note to add... once you have made the decision to dial a frequency, the training value has been realized. The mechanism you use to actually set the frequency is not important, as long as it's not TOO difficult/slow to do compared to the real thing. Radio tuning can be tricky in xplane from certain angles in a 3d cockpit, hence the keyboard mappings.
500nmMission

Post by 500nmMission »

Good stuff, just what I needed, thanks guys.

I'll get Saitek, yoke, throttle, pedals and XPlane X; putting the rest of my money into a computer. Business needs a new computer anyway.

Going flying with my photographer friend again this Saturday. I expect to be at the controls for about an hour and a half. Sure beats paying to fly! The more time in the real thing, the more meaningful the sim experience, right?
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Just wondering. How strong are your PC trouble shooting skills? Are you the kind of guy/girl that likes to research problems? Or does anything beyond pure "plug and play" make you curl up in a fetal position and cry?

As a reminder that some Saitek gear is not natively supported by X-Plane. X-Plane support is great out of the box for the Yoke, rudder pedals, and throttle quadrant. Only straight forward function mapping is needed. Do it once and done.

For the other Saitek devices support is dependent upon software developed by the "user community". As a result, some add-on aircraft may or may not play well with some Saitek gear.

Specifically:
•Saitek Pro Flight Switch Panel
•Saitek Pro Flight Multi Panel

May require a significant effort to integrate with your set up (dataref mapping). And there's a possibility that some functions won't work as expected with some advanced after market airplanes. So if your expectation is "plug and play", these options may not be the best for you.

I have to agree with Keith. Start slower. Add as your experience grows.

IMO Nvidia graphics cards plays better with X-Plane.