Drones

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
David Gilbert

Drones

Post by David Gilbert »

Earlier I was flying from KSAN to KSNA along the coast avoiding the restricted airspace. One of the King Air drones flew past me and had its landing gear down. I'm fairly certain it wasn't on finals for landing. Is that right?

David
Normal call sign: N8295L or TPX
Keith Smith

Re: Drones

Post by Keith Smith »

Which simulator do you use? Hard to answer without knowing which platform you're on, as the answer will vary.

For X-Plane, the traditional CSL's don't support animations (the nextgen CSL's do), so the gear tends to be fixed.
David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert »

I normally use Xplane.

David
Normal call sign: N8295L or TPX
criley

Post by criley »

So Keith,

When are the "nextgen CSL's" coming out?

Chris
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I was going to wait until we received all of the aircraft from one of the aircraft authors, but that process has taken longer than expected. It's likely that I'll do a smaller release soon with the current aircraft, then add more if they become available, or look elsewhere to source the desired aircraft.
criley

Post by criley »

Gotcha. Since they are taking some time, do you think that they would just give permission to use their files to build them ourselves (pilotedge)? I can help in with the conversion if you can get the permission.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Not with this particular company. The delay is that they are chosing to reduce the polygon count, texture sizes, and other things prior to conversion. If it was just matter of converting them as is, we'd be good. Thanks for the offer, though. I'll try to get the existing CSL's released asap.
criley

Post by criley »

Thanks. I am wondering if there is a way to add to the plugin a way for the user to be able to select if they want (HD CSLs) or (SD CSLs) . This way, depending on their system capabilities, they can choose the experience they wish and you would be able to have the full definition CSLs while waiting for the lower quality versions.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The new CSL's are actually loaded on demand rather than ahead of time. We will eventually have dynamic unloading as well to free up the texture memory they were using once there are no more instances of that model flying around you. The new format doesn't just permit higher resolution, they are drawn using X-Plane's rendering technology with lighting, shadows and animations. We will eventually remove all of the existing CSL's.
criley

Post by criley »

Terrific! I am excited to see the progress. I know most do not have the system capabilities I have, so it can be frustrating at times for me, but I understand.