prepar3d vs xplane Realistic Flight Dynamics

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
steve.huff

prepar3d vs xplane Realistic Flight Dynamics

Post by steve.huff »

I realize that everyone has their opinion on their favorite flight Sim. I would like to keep this topic limited to realistic flight dynamics between prepar3d and Xplane. I switched to xplane from FSX because of the flight dynamics and am now considering building a cockpit using prepar3d for the visuals and the Majestic Dash 8 Q400. Which uses an external flight dynamics model. But I am also interested in the experience others have had using prepar3d and internal models for the flight dynamics. A good example would be using PMDG aircraft within prepar3d.
Marcus Becker

Re: prepar3d vs xplane Realistic Flight Dynamics

Post by Marcus Becker »

PMDG isn't authorized for use in P3D.

As for dynamics, FSX and P3D are identical. X-plane is usually the choice for such a demand.
Pieces

Post by Pieces »

Didn't PMDG just announce a new license that allows P3D and X-Plane? I don't recall the specifics... Maybe they have to release new products or something.
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
tshuff

Post by tshuff »

Pieces wrote:Didn't PMDG just announce a new license that allows P3D and X-Plane? I don't recall the specifics... Maybe they have to release new products or something.
They announced that they're close to announcing a licensing deal for P3D and that they are working on two products for X-Plane, one to be released soon and another to be announced at the same time. In typical PMDG fashion, they're pretending to be Apple and keeping pretty tight lipped on the whole thing.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I wouldn't hold my breath for the first X-Plane release from PMDG to be of very high quality compared to what's out there today from people who have been X-Plane addons for a long time. But...I'd love to be proven wrong!
criley

Post by criley »

I have been using X-Plane for several years now, and I just tried P3D about a week ago. I noticed the Flight Dynamics difference as soon as I started using it. I know someone is going to say something, but honestly, P3D felt like a video game to me. I really wanted it to work for me, but can't get over it. Not the it matters much, but I am a RLP and I just like the feel of X-Plane. I can feel the "Virtual Weight" of the plane in X-Plane if that makes any sense.

You should give P3D a try and see for yourself. For $10, it's worth a look to form your own opinion.
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Just wondering. Just HOW far are you looking to take the cockpit build? Are you looking for near match to the Q400? Or are you looking for an upgraded cockpit with more controls and better external visuals?

If looking to remain "general" in nature, IMO it hard to argue against using X-Plane as the foundation because:
  • You already own it and are familiar with the UI which is often the thing ppl dislke the most about X-Plan
  • You are already aware that X-Plane has the better flight model for more aircraft. This allows your cockpit to be more than a "one trick pony".
  • If looking to build a custom sim rig, some consideration should be given to using multiple PC's for external visuals. X-Plane has excellent support for "linking" multiple PC to a "master" PC.
  • If considering multiple PC, then cost of licenses could be an issue. Some $$'s can be saved by using the X-Plane and Linux combination. This saves the OS cost and often Linux will make the same HW go further. Of course the Linux option is not for everyone.
  • X-Plane is ready now. This avoids basing plans on software development that may or may not pan out.
The choice of which sim to use for a major cockpit build is an important one. IMO once major custom development is started, it's a bad idea to change simulators mid stream. So I would encourage you create a realistic list of your project goals and resources. Because the choices should be made based upon YOUR goals for the end product. The early homework could make the difference between a good outcome and a failed project.