Fixed - Full Screen mode freezes with PE running?

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
Nicholas

Fixed - Full Screen mode freezes with PE running?

Post by Nicholas »

I can work and connect fine with the controllers in the window mode, but when I switch to Full Screen, my screen subdivides freezes portions of the screen. If I alt-tab back to windowed mode everything is fine/useable. If I close the PE client, I can switches back and forth normally....I am using FSX-Gold.

I have tried multiple things, uninstalled installed/updated by Nvidia driver and same with the PE client. I also have EZdok installed, but when I turn it on and off using the global enable/disable, no change in what happens. I have tried different planes both stock and add-on and it does not change/effect the problem.

I run multiple monitors (3x - in portrait ) using Nvidia Surround as a standard environment - because I am using this a training simulator for my [RW] instrument training.

I would like to work in full screen (virtual cockpit) because the frame rate in windowed mode is not as high/good.

In P3D [which I don't prefer because, I can't use my Reality XP apps and FSX Planes] it seems to toggle fine and work normally.

I have tried to find something similar in the forum and via google, but with no luck.

I am considering having to run PE on a separate computer, but have read that the performance is not as good and really don't want to make my set-up more complicated.

I really could use some help with this as I have been working to try to fix this now and have exhausted my ideas to fix it.

Thanks in advance.....
Nicholas

Re: Fixed - Full Screen mode freezes with PE running?

Post by Nicholas »

I changed this from a Help request, to Fixed.

I found the solution to linked by two (2) things:

1). The freeze portion was cause by the internal setting within FSX [options/settings/general] - "Pause on task switch" was invoked, so I toggled that switch - to off.
2). The second portion (of my screen going crazy/subdividing and loosing sync/tearing) was caused by displaying the PE transponder/comm box while in the sim, so after connecting to the server, go to the "Transponder" and toggle off (remove the check/tick) for "flight simulator transponder" choice, which stops the box from being displayed.

So if I wanted the transponder/comm box to be displayed, I would have to run it in "windowed" mode, but now that I now everything works (confirmed by the presents of the my flight/aircraft on the PE website, it is not a big deal for me, given the FPS increase that I enjoy in the Full Screen mode of FSX.

/s/ Chuck Nicholas
Keith Smith

Re: Fixed - Full Screen mode freezes with PE running?

Post by Keith Smith »

Chuck,

Setting 'pause on task switch' to 'off' is one of the steps in the installation procedure. The frame rate issue isn't as well documented, but it is a known issue that has been covered in the past. I'm glad you got it all fixed!