Setting IMC

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
JWPE

Setting IMC

Post by JWPE »

I use ActiveSky Next for weather. How does this work with manually setting up some IMC conditions? I heard the controllers giving conditions, do I just ignore that and is it possible they will deny an approach based on the wind conditions they're showing?
ridikamus

Re: Setting IMC

Post by ridikamus »

I've heard Keith say something like "Unable, we're in simulated IMC" when asked if he could accept a visual approach. I have no idea how they handle opposite direction landings due to differing wind conditions.
V-3 CAT-11 I-11
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

Your weather is up to you, controllers don't care. They'll read you weather, and if you get an "altimeter only" transmission, read it back for simulation purposes but keep your sim's altimeter setting (which will align your indicated altitude with the controllers). Its generally considered to be better if you don't set different winds for continuity purposes - seeing as one guy who needs 2L at SNA disrupts the 5 other aircraft lining up for the ILS 20R from LAS since they're using real weather. No experience with ASN, but in XP, its generally recommended to set real winds and your own cloud layers, etc... (if you choose to). You can always say "unable visual approach" and the controllers will get the hint. I've been tempted a few times to request a Contact APP for simplicity and controller-workload's sake (ie going into SFO with a 3000 broken layer), but seeing as I'll probably crash..... :D
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed
kullery

Post by kullery »

The PilotEdge default active runways are based upon actual weather conditions. You may request different runways but controllers may not be able to grant the request depending upon other traffic. You are always welcome to simulate visibility that differs from RW weather. Simply let the controller know.
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
JWPE

Post by JWPE »

This makes sense. I'm not sure with ASN if I can drop cloud cover without having to change wind, I can look into that. I use track IR so I can set it to put the gauges right in my face and just not look out until I reach minimums. That might be the best choice.
bobsk8

Post by bobsk8 »

Since I have active sky set for real current weather, I guess that would work fine.
Licensed Pilot since 1978
P3D Version 3.4
A2A Aircraft