Prepar3D & X-Plane Client Software

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
BonanzaDude

Re: Prepar3D & X-Plane Client Software

Post by BonanzaDude »

stevekirks wrote: Wowzers...!

If you can pull it off, you might want to consider X-Plane through Steam when it comes time to purchase. You get the Global edition but only have to download the geo areas you need. I have it and it works like a champ, no difference at all between what you get on DVD, except it's auto updated (if you choose).
Your post was an hour too late. I ordered through x-plane.org. :o

John
John P. Navara
zLAARTCC & PE I-11
PP ASEL-IA - 1967 V35 N480H
Complex, HP & Tailwheel endorsements
My YouTube Videos
http://www.twitch.tv/Sim_Dude
BonanzaDude

Post by BonanzaDude »

Good news. I caught the order from Laminar Research before it shipped and will get a refund. I will download the steam edition as soon as I have time this afternoon. I do like the option of limited scenery so that it doesn't blow up my SSD drive and I run out of space.

John
John P. Navara
zLAARTCC & PE I-11
My YouTube Videos
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Note, With the DVD version you still CHOOSE which scenery to load on your computer. In my case I only have the main US loaded.

To me that big advantage that the DVD version offers is the lack of software activation. In my case I have multiple PC's running X-Plane. Some Windows. Some Linux. I even sometimes run X-Plane on multiple PC's at the some time showing the moving map on a networked PC. All of this is possible because the copyright protection of the DVD version of X-Plane only requires that the #1 DVD be in the drive for a short check.

While I don't know it for a fact, I suspect that the Steam edition has a software activation copyright protection.

However, X-Plane has changed sooooooo much that even if you order the DVD version, virtually the entire X-plane would be updated online after installation anyway. So in that regard there's still a ton of data to download via the Internet.

If you are the type that sticks with a PC for a long time, then the software activation won't be an issue.

If you are the type that always building better PC's, testing, and tweeking (like me), you may find the DVD version's software protection less of a hassle.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

wmburns wrote:Note, With the DVD version you still CHOOSE which scenery to load on your computer. In my case I only have the main US loaded.

To me that big advantage that the DVD version offers is the lack of software activation. In my case I have multiple PC's running X-Plane. Some Windows. Some Linux. I even sometimes run X-Plane on multiple PC's at the some time showing the moving map on a networked PC. All of this is possible because the copyright protection of the DVD version of X-Plane only requires that the #1 DVD be in the drive for a short check.

While I don't know it for a fact, I suspect that the Steam edition has a software activation copyright protection.

However, X-Plane has changed sooooooo much that even if you order the DVD version, virtually the entire X-plane would be updated online after installation anyway. So in that regard there's still a ton of data to download via the Internet.

If you are the type that sticks with a PC for a long time, then the software activation won't be an issue.

If you are the type that always building better PC's, testing, and tweeking (like me), you may find the DVD version's software protection less of a hassle.
With Steam, you install the client on all of the PCs that would run it, then it can download the files to that machine. There is a way to create a local backup but I haven't done it yet, either to save it or move it to another PC. I'm the person that sticks with one PC for awhile, so it works for me and makes it one download and install at the same time. Plus, I never have to worry about the DVD set. I can see both sides of the issue...
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
BonanzaDude

Post by BonanzaDude »

I found out that the DVD set is still on its way. I can send it back for a full refund if I want. It's even better if I can choose what scenery to install. I'm thinking I might keep it and get a refund from Steam. I HATE having to add any more applications running on my flight sim computer that necessary.

John
John P. Navara
zLAARTCC & PE I-11
My YouTube Videos