Prepar3D & X-Plane Client Software

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
Keith Smith

Re: Prepar3D & X-Plane Client Software

Post by Keith Smith »

Just to make sure you're clear on the viewing options, there's the FOV as Marcus pointed out, you can also reposition the camera forwards and backwards with the comma and period keys. Then there's the zoom with minus and equals (or scroll wheel I suppose).
BonanzaDude

Post by BonanzaDude »

I was able to position the camera with the wheel and , and .. I was just too close to the panel and when I moved back then I was behind the seat. Kind of tough to see when that happens. Hoping to try a flight on PE tonight.

John
John P. Navara
zLAARTCC & PE I-11
PP ASEL-IA - 1967 V35 N480H
Complex, HP & Tailwheel endorsements
My YouTube Videos
http://www.twitch.tv/Sim_Dude
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

BonanzaDude wrote:I was able to position the camera with the wheel and , and .. I was just too close to the panel and when I moved back then I was behind the seat. Kind of tough to see when that happens. Hoping to try a flight on PE tonight.

John
Some flight models are a bit wonky to figure out camera positioning. There's a C172 that Keith mentioned once:

http://www.c74.net/xplane/_a_cx172.html

You have to sign up for the forums, but it's free and I think the flight model is pretty amazing. Eye candy is low, realism is high. Almost a handfull
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
BonanzaDude

Post by BonanzaDude »

One last question today. I have the 3D panel set. I put my mouse over the knob to change frequencies and I see the half circle with the "+" and "-" indicators. How do I change the frequency? I tried everything imaginable and even did a google search.

John
John P. Navara
zLAARTCC & PE I-11
My YouTube Videos
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

Usually, those are the click and draggers. Left to go down and right to go up.
BonanzaDude

Post by BonanzaDude »

Marcus Becker wrote:Usually, those are the click and draggers. Left to go down and right to go up.
Thanks I was thinking you could hold something down and slide the mouse left or right to increase or decrease the number. I guess I've been watching too much twitch.tv.

John
John P. Navara
zLAARTCC & PE I-11
My YouTube Videos
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Nope, just lots of clicks. I got fairly tired of trying to position the mouse just right then having to click like crazy, so I just mapped CTRL up, down, left and right to alter the com1 stdby freq (fine and coarse) and now life is good. I mapped a button on the joystick to hit the flip/flop. Now I can set the radio easily as long as the panel is viewable somewhere on the screen without having the get the wretched cursor just right. Of course, a Saitek radio stack would be a nice addition to solve the problem, I dunno what I'm waiting for!
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Keith Smith wrote:Nope, just lots of clicks. I got fairly tired of trying to position the mouse just right then having to click like crazy, so I just mapped CTRL up, down, left and right to alter the com1 stdby freq (fine and coarse) and now life is good. I mapped a button on the joystick to hit the flip/flop. Now I can set the radio easily as long as the panel is viewable somewhere on the screen without having the get the wretched cursor just right. Of course, a Saitek radio stack would be a nice addition to solve the problem, I dunno what I'm waiting for!
Keith, the Saitek radio stack is worth it for sure. Never having to swivel the head view in XP to tune a radio in the FJS732 makes it worth the cash. You can do transponder along with both COM and NAV radios in that bird. Altimeter...not so much.

I have the yoke, so I can mount it on top of there, but if you do it, consider some Internet research on mounting situations. It requires some torque to switch between COM/NAV settings.
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
Alphabet Challenge
BonanzaDude

Post by BonanzaDude »

First try on the PilotEdge connection went great last night. I found out the hard way that when X-Plane says the demo only includes scenery for KSEA they meant it. The runways at KLGB were surrounded by water. When taxiing off the main runway one of my tire slipped off the side of the runway and and I had a prop strike on my right engine. OOPS

John
John P. Navara
zLAARTCC & PE I-11
My YouTube Videos
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

BonanzaDude wrote:First try on the PilotEdge connection went great last night. I found out the hard way that when X-Plane says the demo only includes scenery for KSEA they meant it. The runways at KLGB were surrounded by water. When taxiing off the main runway one of my tire slipped off the side of the runway and and I had a prop strike on my right engine. OOPS
Wowzers...!

If you can pull it off, you might want to consider X-Plane through Steam when it comes time to purchase. You get the Global edition but only have to download the geo areas you need. I have it and it works like a champ, no difference at all between what you get on DVD, except it's auto updated (if you choose).
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
Alphabet Challenge