Setting up Server/Client

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
c09RKC

Setting up Server/Client

Post by c09RKC »

Hi!

New to PE. I installed the software tonight. One cmptr's setup as the PE Server, the other (which happens to be the FSX machine) would be the PE client. I didn't have much luck in testing to see if I got things right. The triggers on my yoke(s) run through FSUIPC on the FSX machine (the PE client). One thing I did not do (that I read was necessary afterward) was to be sure the headset's plugged in prior to starting PE on the PE Server.

Are there any other things I might look for? I've read and searched for tips, thought I'd ask here too.

Tkx!
Doug
Keith Smith

Re: Setting up Server/Client

Post by Keith Smith »

I think you may be mixing some terms and concepts here. You're not setting up a PE server. There is just one PE server in the equation and that would be the one we run that everyone connects to.

Perhaps you're talking about a SimConnect server? Your FSX machine can act as a SimConnect server while you run the PE client (which is also a SimConect client) on another machine. The SimConnect client in the PilotEdge application can make a remote connection to the SimConnect server (your FSX machine) while it makes its own connection to the PE server, acting as a bridge between FSX and PE.

I'm yet to be convinced of any benefit of going through the hassle of setting up SimConnect to run remotely with today's multi core PC's. The PE client is relatively light weight and the effort required to run it on another machine doesn't appear to provide any benefit, near as I can tell. It also means that the animation of other aircraft in the system is likely to be compromised because the SimConnect client is now running remotely instead of locally and the resulting delay in the 'a frame is being drawn' notification via simconnect will result in less than perfect animation of the other aircraft.
c09RKC

Post by c09RKC »

Hi Keith, tkx for your reply. You're right about terminology... emailing and all are the worst ways to communicate.

The purpose for all this is sound segregation. I've just finished a full trainer in my home. I've got other ATC things coming through the ceiling speakers and of course the FSX default sounds running through a surround sound deal with speakers in expected places. But I want the PE sound to be where the other ATC sound is. That's why I put in on a SIM-A client machine.

However, a friend just told me there's way to do this without running PE on two cmptrs. I've uninstalled PE on both and reinstalled on the FSX machine. I was connected inside 5min. It's going to be interesting to see how I can manipulate the sound output.

Looking forward to my 1st PE flight! Tkx again!!

Doug
BonanzaDude

Post by BonanzaDude »

I have a lot of experience setting up my machines in this configuration. As Keith mentions and I agree your terms are mixed up as far as my thoughts are concerned. I consider my flight sim computer being the server, and the remote computer being the client computer. I still have the PE client remotely when I fly Prepar3D and I have the client on my flight sim computer when I fly X-Plane. Following is the way that I have my system setup and for which flight sim configuration I am using. I use Synergy (http://synergy-project.org/) so that I can use one keyboard and mouse for both computers.

X-Plane
Flight Sim Computer (Server Computer)
X-Plane 10
PilotEdge Client
XPUIPC

Remote Desktop Computer (Client Computer)
XPWideClient
FS FlightKeeper
FSEconomy (FSUIPC Version)
LUVCAR4 (SWA Virutal ACARS)
vUAL smartCARS (vUAL ACARS)

Prepar3D
Flight Sim Computer (Server Computer)
Prepar3D v2.5
FSUIPC

Remote Desktop Computer (Client Computer)
ASNext for weather
FSUIPC WideClient
FS FlightKeeper
FSEconomy (FSUIPC Version)
LUVCAR4 (SWA Virutal ACARS)
vUAL smartCARS (vUAL ACARS)
vPilot (To connect to VATSIM)

If you ever need any help feel free to contact me via PM.

John
John P. Navara
zLAARTCC & PE I-11
PP ASEL-IA - 1967 V35 N480H
Complex, HP & Tailwheel endorsements
My YouTube Videos
http://www.twitch.tv/Sim_Dude
BonanzaDude

Post by BonanzaDude »

I see that you replied while I was typing and probably don't need my help any longer. :D

I should also add that the biggest reason that I am wanting a remote computer is to ease communications when I am talking on TeamSpeak. That way I don't have another program running on my flight sim computer.

John
John P. Navara
zLAARTCC & PE I-11
PP ASEL-IA - 1967 V35 N480H
Complex, HP & Tailwheel endorsements
My YouTube Videos
http://www.twitch.tv/Sim_Dude
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

c09RKC , if you want to route the sound to another output device, you can do so by selecting the sound device in the Options section of the PilotEdge client. It's very straight forward...much more so than running on separate computers.

John, I run Teamspeak while I fly on a routine basis, it's not a problem. If your concern is related to frame rates, don't be. Teamspeak isn't a cpu intensive application, and again, you have a multi-core machine.
c09RKC

Post by c09RKC »

[quote="Keith Smith"]c09RKC , if you want to route the sound to another output device, you can do so by selecting the sound device in the Options section of the PilotEdge client. It's very straight forward...much more so than running on separate computers.

I will definitely look at that, tkx Keith. The audio panel(s) in my sim are one of the few things not modeled, and they may be the most missed. How easy life would be.

Anyway, I did manage a 'radio-check' at KSNA Ground. All seems to be working. I spent 26yr at KZME ARTCC and am looking forward to being on the other end of the coin for a change :)

Tkx again!
Doug
c09RKC

Post by c09RKC »

Thank you for the offer John! I may take you up on that.

Doug