Experiences with navaid updates

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
Matthias Geiss

Experiences with navaid updates

Post by Matthias Geiss »

For all who updated their P3D/FSX Navaid and ILS Database with the files provided by http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html ...
Do you think it's worth it, consodering it's "just a sim" and will it affect flying on PE in any negative way? Did you experience any negative side effects at all?
Justin Lerner

Re: Experiences with navaid updates

Post by Justin Lerner »

Updating the AIRAC has no negative side effects whatsoever, especially if you're flying online. It essentially means the navigational data in your sim will sync up with what's current and what is used by controllers. If you're strictly a VFR pilot, then it probably won't make a whole lot of difference. The only thing is I haven't heard of this particular company, most people go with Navigraph or NavDataPro by Aerosoft. They have files to update your base sim, as well as conversions for plugins and add-on airplanes.
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

Thanks Justin!

Unfotunately, Navigraph or Aerosoft don't offer Navaid updates for FSX/P3D, the whole database is basically unchanged since FSX release.
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Matthias Geiss wrote:Thanks Justin!

Unfotunately, Navigraph or Aerosoft don't offer Navaid updates for FSX/P3D, the whole database is basically unchanged since FSX release.
Are you sure about this? I have updated my FSX and X-Plane Navaid database several times. Twice using Navigraph and once using Aerosoft.

I can confirm that in each case some errors were corrected (which is the reason I was doing the update in the first place).

IMO the cost of a single update cycle is low enough to not be a concern. As a sim only pilot I don't need totally "up to date" navaid data. As such I usually wait 18 months or more between updates.

I don't use P3D but the Aerosoft web site states that a single data set includes FSX, P3D, and X-plane (as well as other add on products such as PMDG). So one product gets you access to every product during the cycle.

http://en.shop.aerosoft.com/eshop.php?a ... ge=english
Last edited by wmburns on Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin Lerner

Post by Justin Lerner »

Really? Navigraph may not come to think of it, but they do provide updates for add-on aircraft (such as PMDG products). I thought for sure NavDataPro was available for FSX.

In any case, if you do plan to update the AIRAC data, wait a couple days and there should be a new cycle issued.
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

I think what you mean are the AIRAC cycles for FSX aircraft FMCs (PMDG etc.). Those are of course available through Navigraph/Aerosoft. But they don't provide updates for the sim's default database with all the VORs/NDBs etc. which are received by the NAV radios.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

A couple things that I appreciate with the updated Navaids data from Herve Sors, is that not only are the correct Navaid frequencies updated (for instance VCV, which is incorrect in the FSX database), the ILS glideslopes are corrected, and especially appreciate that the Navaid reception ranges are corrected and far more realistic. In the default FSX, the ranges in many cases were unrealistically long.

Did this make a HUGE difference? No, but it does conform much more to what one would run into in RL. The site also has the correct MagVar data, which has changed since the original FSX data. I fly with the current Navigraph database, kept updated monthly but the the Navigraph data does not address the above. So both have their places, and work well together.

I experience ZERO negative impact, but if you do use FSX flight planner, you should make the display modifications Herve notes, to avoid any possible "gotchas" regarding Victor Airway displays. One last point, is that the original BGL files are saved automatically, and you can easily revert to the original (I can confirm this works "as advertised") should you want to revert if you find the modifications don't suit your needs/desires.

Don
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Matthias Geiss wrote:I think what you mean are the AIRAC cycles for FSX aircraft FMCs (PMDG etc.). Those are of course available through Navigraph/Aerosoft. But they don't provide updates for the sim's default database with all the VORs/NDBs etc. which are received by the NAV radios.
I may not be understanding what you are saying. While it may be true that the Aerosoft navaid updates do not change the default sim data per se, in my experience it does place updated data in the search chain such that it replaces the default sim data.

I can confirm from personal experience that applying the Aerosoft NavDataPro single cycle update to my home sim has:
  • Added SID/STARS the PMDG JS32 FMC as well as corrected/added way points
  • on FSX actually flew in locations where a way point was not present before applying the update. The waypoint was present afterwards
  • on X-plane confirmed that the updated DID correct the incorrect VCV VOR
My personal experience with both the Navigraph and Aerosoft products have been positive. The update process was straight forward. The Aerosoft product does include a fancy installation tool that does make future updates as simple as pushing a button.

Will drop off if I'm not helping.
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

Donovan,
thanks for sharing! I think I'll the the update.

wmburns,
you are right, the navdata for most planes that use a custom database (e.g. most modern payware Airlineres) is updateable through Navigraph/Aerosoft.
However, virtually all GA addons, classic airliners (pre FMC era) and also the NAV-radios of any plane with custom navdata use the default FSX/P3D database, which is basically unchanged since 2006. So if for example the frequency of a VOR/NDB/ILS is changed in real life, or it is shut down alltogether, this change is not reflected in the sim.