Dual Headsets

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
AGlaysh

Dual Headsets

Post by AGlaysh »

Sorry if this is obvious but I have not been able to find a way to have two headset on x-plane/pilot edge. My objective is sharing the experience with my kids (copilots). I want them to wear their own head set and be able to talk to pilot and hear everything just like in RW.

Thanks for any help!

Adam
Kyle.Sanders

Re: Dual Headsets

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

What sim are you using?
Also, if nobody gives you the answer- you could always have them listening to the PilotEdge Reciever.
Kyle Sanders
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

If using the analog audio output. Another "low tech" solution is to use a simple "Y" adapter. The kind of adapter people use when sharing music through two head sets.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 25V1SC2034

This doesn't work if needing more than one additional headset.

This solution won't work if using USB headsets.

If using USB head set then it does get more "complicated". Note, there are software based "mixers" that can create virtual sound devices and re-route sound to different sources just like a physical mixer. This solution does depend upon your operating system.

Of course the "Y" adapter solution isn't going to solve the "cockpit intercom" mic request. If needing to create a cockpit intercom system, then it gets even more "complicated". Up to having a physical intercom system just like the RW.

So tell us about:
  • OS
  • Which type of head sets are you using (analog/USB)
  • if the copilot mic function (intercom) is required.
  • If your preference is for a software or hardware solution
  • what about "other" physical sim hardware that you have. Why? Because the PPT button function presents "issues" if you want the copilot to be able to broadcast using their own PPT. A mixer likely could handle intercom functions using a voice activation just like the RW
Last edited by wmburns on Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

Kyle.Sanders wrote:you could always have them listening to the PilotEdge Reciever.
That won't allow them to talk.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
tshuff

Post by tshuff »

You might have some luck with Voicemeeter Banana. Pretty powerful, and free, software mixer. I know a lot of twitch/youtube guys who use it for moving audio streams around.

http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Vo ... banana.htm
AGlaysh

Post by AGlaysh »

Okay.. At least now I know I'm not missing something obvious. ;o)

To answer some of your questions
• Windows 10 • X-Plane 10 • USB bluetooth headset (which is really not important because I'm not in love with it..) I do have a mixer that I can try to utilize.. I have it for music recording but can... maybe get it to do the job.

I appreciate everyones input but don't want to put anyone to much trouble. I was really wondering if there was an adapter/magic box for sim pilots. I did find one several months back on the internet but it was around $400- $500. At the time I didn't pay much attention. I do believe it used RW electronics though.

For now I can live with a splitter for receiving audio and not worry about transmitting. If anyone else reads and know a reasonable solution please chime in.
Thanks again,

Adam
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

I skipped over the part that you wanted them to be able to TALK too. Sorry.
Kyle Sanders
Tim Krajcar

Post by Tim Krajcar »

As a fellow PE parent whose kids love to play with his sim gear, I've done some research into this myself. Can't say I have had a chance to test it, but I believe this should work. I included Amazon links and they're great with returns, so it's worth trying.

You won't be able to get far with your USB headset without using a software mixer as mentioned above, since the PilotEdge client will only work with one audio device at once. It might be doable, but will take a lot of experimenting and configuring, that's for sure. Here is a hardware-based solution:

You need:
* two wired headsets with individual 'headphone out' and 'mic' jacks (or, if you have a headset where they're combined into one jack, like those designed for phones, one of these too). I am a fan of Turtle Beach headsets, and for reasons explained below, the X12 in particular.
* two of these splitters -- one to combine both headphone signals, one to combine both mic signals
* a USB sound card with separate mic/headphone ports - there are a million different options here, but this one is cheap and well-reviewed and doesn't need drivers.

You should expect to lose substantial volume on both the headphone output and mic input, and will need to adjust your settings accordingly. Due to this, I would suggest matching the headsets make/model. There are also headphone splitters out there that have volume controls on them, but depending on how you have things wired up, accessing the physical control would be difficult. Many cheap splitters also result in louder output for listener B when listener A turns down! If you get the X12s (or another headset that has its own inline amp), each pilot can adjust their volume as desired without affecting the other.

Note that this solution will broadcast both pilots' mics whenever the PTT is pressed. No individual PTT here! You also won't be able to hear each other through the headphones, which is unfortunate.

Two more left-field solutions:

#1: If you already have an aviation headset (or hopefully two) you like, use this real aviation intercom which has a 3.5mm aux in (for receiving) and 3.5mm aux out (for transmitting) and you'll have excellent quality sound, full control, be able to hear each other, etc.

#2: You may find your kids want to 'drive' their own view, look around at whatever they want, and so on. If you have another decently-specced computer lying around, give your co-pilot their own view, use SmartCopilot, and you can skip all that nonsense above and just use normal headsets in the normal way on both computers :)
Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

^if that's not an answer... Idk what is haha
Kyle Sanders
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

If you have access to aviation headsets, then here's the solution I recommend to commercial customers: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a ... kkey=37386 (same as the intercom that Tim posted, but $20 less at Aircraft Spruce)

It has aux in/out (3.5mm audio jacks). Hook up the PC output to the aux in on the intercom, and hook up the PC input to the aux out on the intercom.

For USB only, you're going to need to get hot and heavy with some virtual mixers, but it should be possible.