Real World Coast to Coast now available

rtataryn

Re: Real World Coast to Coast now available

Post by rtataryn »

I'm really enjoying the return flight bonus videos that were added. Just finished watching the San Carlos to Shelter Bay flight. What a great series Keith - educational and entertaining, and showing what GA is all about.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Thanks Rod. As soon as I get a moment to come up for air from this commercial engagement we'll be running a promo on that series. I'm glad you're enjoying the flights.

I'm hoping to recreate some of those hops in the sim once I have a new hard drive an ortho. Shelter Cove is a dream airport. Enjoy the departure from Shelter Cove. I know I did.
danieln

Post by danieln »

Hey Keith,

RWCC is a great publication, I've learned a lot watching you fly, myself being a pilot flying out of KCDW..

Just wanted to discuss one point though, on the flight Carlsbad-San Jose (#1 bonus leg), you mention engine-out gliding distance over the range to an airport. You said that because of the high density altitude, your TAS is higher and therefore your glide distance would be longer. AFAIK, this is not true, i.e. although your ground speed is faster, your sink rate to maintain it would also be greater, but the gliding gradient remains the same. Therefore, you'd reach the same point on the ground as you would if TAS was lower, but you'd get there faster. Kind of in a similar way that a heavier airplane glides the same distance but faster.

Best,

Daniel
PPL IR ASEL AMEL
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Thx Daniel. You're absolutely right. This is the actually the third time I've reviewed this fact, and each time, for some reason, it doesn't stick and I keep going back to my earlier recollection. You're right, the effective ratio doesn't change with altitude. The TAS will be higher at the best glide speed, but the rate of descent will be proportionally higher and the ratio will remain constant.