PilotEdge and Sim Audio Configuration

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
Kyle.Sanders

PilotEdge and Sim Audio Configuration

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

IMAGES ARE GONE- I will update when I get some time, but the text description should be enough to get your through

I have had many people ask me how to configure their audio for PilotEdge to balance out with their sim audio. I have found that everyone of them had a misunderstanding of how the audio system works.
Therefore, I decided to just post it here to help others as well.

This is set up for someone who has a USB headset (suggested) and wishes to communicate with that headset and send their sim/other audio through their computer speakers.
Also, I use Windows+X-Plane but I can't imagine that it would be too different with the FSX/P3D client and/or Mac+X-Plane, as the same concept should apply. (if I am wrong, please comment below or PM me and I will revise)

Something you need to understand about the PilotEdge Pilot Client (what you use to connect to the PilotEdge network) is that you control the "Output" device but cannot control the "Input" device via the client. The Input device is whatever your "Default Communication Device" is selected as in your computer audio settings. DO NOT MIX THIS UP WITH SIMPLY YOUR "DEFAULT" DEVICE!!!

If you need further help with understanding/setting this up, continue reading.

--------------------------------------

Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Sound

If not already there, ensure you are in the "Playback" tab of the Sound menu.
Find and select "Speakers" that does not have a label of "USB Headset" or anything like that. Mine says "Realtek High Definition Audio".
------This device is my logitech speakers that are connected to my computer via a 1/8" jack. These are the speakers that I want my sim and computer sounds to come though but NOT PilotEdge audio.
While this playback device is selected, select the "Set Default" button. If this device is already "Default", then the button will be grayed out and will have a Green checkmark next to the device icon.

Now scroll the playback devices until you see another title of "Speakers" with a sub-label saying something along the lines of "USB Headset".
Select that device, click the dropmenu next to "Set Default" and then select "Default Communication Device".

You should now have a green checkmark on your default speaker device and then a green phone icon on your default communication device.

Now let us make sure your input device is configured correctly- Go to the Recording tab of the Sound menu. Select your USB headset mic and select Properties.

Navigate to the Levels tab and ensure the volume is at 100%.
You may also want to ensure the other options through the other tabs are correctly configured as well.

Start X-Plane>Plugins>PilotEdge>Preferences...

Select your USB Headset and then select OK.

--------------------------------------

Now you can control the volume of your sim and ATC audio separately to find the correct balance.
Kyle Sanders