Frequency allocation for CD/GND/TWR/APPR/CNTR

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
Simon Ambrose

Frequency allocation for CD/GND/TWR/APPR/CNTR

Post by Simon Ambrose »

Is there a fixed rule for avaiation Frequency allocation to different positions.

ie For a given Freq, will that freq always be a GROUND freq, as vaious airports, and never a Tower or Appr Freq.

I am trying to figure out how, say a PilotEdge GROUND controller manages to Monitor ALL GROUND frequencies, and not be distracted by those coming up on a Tower or Approach Freq.

Then, when he does hear someone on Ground at aiport K???, how does he know so quickly what Freq to reply on ?

Seems like VooDoo magic to me !!
Keith Smith

Re: Frequency allocation for CD/GND/TWR/APPR/CNTR

Post by Keith Smith »

Hi Simon,

I'd rather not reveal ALL of the secret sauce as one of our competitive advantages is this brand new radio system, custom built specifically for PilotEdge.

However, I can tell you that we do divide some of our key positions by role, rather than airport. As you pointed out, we have someone working all the grounds, another working all the towers, and another working the approach/center positions. On top of that, we can also staff distinct airports, tracons or enroute sectors as needed to cover the hotspots.

When you call, say, John Wayne Ground as you did last night, only the ground controller hears you. The other controllers don't. When you call John Wayne Tower, the ground and approach/center guy doesn't hear you. It's true that if two guys call ground from two different airports at the same time, the controller can get a little busy, but we have tools that make it a bit more manageable.

Also, ATC only has a single push to talk button. When the ground controller transmits, it will be heard by all the pilots who are on ground frequencies across the facility. This is why when you're at John Wayne (SNA) tuned to ground, you might hear the ground controller handling traffic on the ground at, say, Long Beach (LGB). You won't hear the pilot, though, he's on another frequency.

This happens in real life, too. Ground and Tower are often worked by a single controller (still using multiple frequencies). Similarly multiple approach or center sectors are handled by a single controller, too. Here's an example from a recent flight I took : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_CNPPIdwbw. Listen closely and you'll notice you don't hear any pilots. The center controller talks to 2-3 other airplanes, but we never hear them. In fact, at around the 1:20 mark, I call CTR at the same time another pilot checks in with center. When I finish my request, you hear her respond to another pilot, and then immediately respond to me. Presumably, myself and that pilot called at the same time, on two different freqs. Notice she made it out unscathed. The same thing is true here. We routinely handle 2-3 planes calling at the same time on multiple freqs.

The do position combining in the real world. We use the same concept here on PE, but applied on a slightly different scale at times (across airports in the ground/tower world).

This is covered in our FAQ, too: http://pilotedge.net/page/faq (under How do the Controllers Handle All of the Real World Frequencies).

It was fun handling your flight at SNA last night, you did a sterling job. I hope you'll continue to enjoy the network.