Does Aerowinx PSX with XView work with PilotEdge?

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
Matthias Geiss

Does Aerowinx PSX with XView work with PilotEdge?

Post by Matthias Geiss »

Every once in a while I am thinking about getting PSX, and now with the expansion it's becoming even more attractive.
Are there any PSX+XView users here who can comment about how this combo works with Pilotedge? I.e. are radios and transponers working without issues? What about TCAS (although I wouldn't mind if that didn't work)?

I know that PMDG will release their 747v3 soon and even the combined price of this and a professional P3D license will be similar or even less than PSX, but I'm leaning more towards the latter as I care more about the simulation than the visuals.
Keith Smith

Re: Does Aerowinx PSX with XView work with PilotEdge?

Post by Keith Smith »

Saw one pilot testing it during WUS Expansion open house. Transponder was stuck on ident and there was no groundspeed being reported by the sim. Otherwise it worked ok.
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

Thanks Keith!
Will those two issues make it a pain for controllers or wouldn't it be a problem when I let them know that it's a kown limitation of this setup?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Without a ground speed readout, you're going be about as useful as a screen door on a submarine if you attend a fly-in. And yes, the ident gets a bit tiring to look at...but we'll survive. Just don't hang out in the middle of a group flight.
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

Copied. :D I'll stay away from flying this bird on PE as long as those issues haven't beed fixed. I read in their forums that the auther of XView is aware of it and we'll see if he can do something about it.

The GS problems seems to be the hardest to solve, as X-Planes GS dataref is not writable.
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

The GS problem is (hopefully) solved in a coming update to XView. Although the GS dataref itself is not writable, it's value is dervied from the velocity vector, whose values in turn are writable. I hope the Ident issue can also be solved.

Anyways, I bought my copy of PSX today and I hope to be able to do a first flight (offline though) next weekend.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Matthias, that's a very interesting solution to the ground speed problem! Pretty cool. They should absolutely be able to solve the ident issue, they have total control over the tranponder mode.
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

Unfortunately, the author of XView (the plugin that connects PSX to X-Plane) had no luck with this approach. The GS is still not getting updated constantly.
That's probably due to the fact that he needs to disable X-Planes flight model in order to take control over the plane in XP.

I am in the process of writing something of my own with the PythonInterface, but I don't think that I can do better than him. We'll see.

Does the PE client totally rely on X-Planes datarefs, or would it be possible to pass things like ground speed, ident events and what else might not work atm. to the client directly via custom datarefs? The last resort would be to write a minimal client just for PSX, but although i am quite proficient in Java, I am afraid that the whole voice com part would exceed my knowledge and you probably (and understandybly) wouldn't want to share all internals. :)
jsnapp1982

Post by jsnapp1982 »

Matthias,

Yes that is correct. And is discussed here:

http://www.xsquawkbox.net/xpsdk/mediawi ... ngThePlane
Once you disable the physics model, the following things change:
The quaternion rotation is no longer used or copied to psi, theta and phi. Instead, change the aircraft's orientation directly by writing to psi, theta, and phi.
The aircraft will basically hold any position and orientation you set.
Derived variables like indicated_airspeed and alpha will not be updated.
Keith has expressed a willingness to have the PE plugin look for a custom dataref such as "/custom/xview/groundspeed" say and read that. If the X-View developer wants to create something like that, that would be ideal. If not, it would be easy to create a small additional plugin to update a custom groundspeed dataref in X-Plane solely based on the change in position.

Cheers,
Justin
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

That sounds great, Justin!

I'll let the developer know about this.