redbird td2 and pilotedge

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
sailingtheblue

redbird td2 and pilotedge

Post by sailingtheblue »

Does anybody have experience setting up the redbird td2 with pilotedge.

Thanks
sailingtheblue

Re: redbird td2 and pilotedge

Post by sailingtheblue »

To close this thread alt - enter allowed me to minimize the tdwelcome screen to install pilotedge.
ichiphead

Post by ichiphead »

Hi,

I have recently purchased a Redbird TD2 and a Flight Sound X Dual hoping to use it with PilotEdge. So far no luck get everything to cooperate. The TD2 is running on Win 10.

I have successfully installed PilotEdge software on the TD2, and it will work (I can do a successful radio test) if I give the "tray" application the focus while hitting the mic hotkey, but in the simulator, I can receive but not transmit. It's like the hotkey press isn't making it over to PilotEdge. I've got it mapped to the "T" key on the keyboard, but perhaps there's a better key to use?

Now, the Flight Sound X Dual has a physical mic switch/PTT that I have attached to the yoke, and it would be incredibly awesome if I could get that to work. But in trying to set up the hotkey in the PilotEdge app, pressing that PTT doesn't register.

This thing will be so awesome if I can get it all to work, but even getting PE running with a press of a key on the keyboard would be okay.

TIA,
Jeff
ichiphead

Post by ichiphead »

Okay, I'm getting somewhere.. From the PE download and first time configuration document:

"Note: If you are using a keyboard to trigger push to talk rather than a joystick/yoke button, then make sure you run the pilot client as Administrator."

(Right-click the icon and choose "Run as Administrator".)

..so now pressing "T" on the keyboard transmits from inside the simulation. That's a workable solution.

Now, if I could just figure out just what on Earth the PTT button on the Flight Sound X Dual does......
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Jeff, I would suggest reaching out to Redbird. Depending on the model of TD2, they may have a modified version of the yoke software which will trigger our PTT event directly, OR, if your TD2 isn't blessed with a PTT at all, you can always use something like this: https://www.ricmotech.com/Push_to_Talk_ ... tt-usb.htm. There are a number of TD2 users using that device with great success. The pilot client lets you map a USB button to the PTT function. This is more reliable than the keyboard-based method, which has issues when the sim and Redbird software are running as Administrator, swallowing the PTT keyboard event.
johncotton

Post by johncotton »

ichiphead wrote: I have successfully installed PilotEdge software on the TD2, and it will work (I can do a successful radio test) if I give the "tray" application the focus while hitting the mic hotkey, but in the simulator, I can receive but not transmit. It's like the hotkey press isn't making it over to PilotEdge. I've got it mapped to the "T" key on the keyboard, but perhaps there's a better key to use?
Hi Chip,

I also recently purchased a Redbird TD2 (which I love) and am looking to install PlotEdge on it. You mentioned you had successfully accomplished the installation. Could you possibly point me to some installation instructions? The only ones I can find on the PE site are for other sims.

Thanks in advance,
John
John Cotton
Private/Instrument
KMHT
N44130
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

John,

Drop us a line at support at pilotedge.net, and/or reach out to Duncan at Redbird. He's aware of how to make that work.

We have a special SimConnect event that the RB sims trigger since their PTT buttons don't register as a normal USB button press. As a result, the PTT configuration is very different for RB sims compared to most other configurations.

Keith
johncotton

Post by johncotton »

Keith Smith wrote:John,

Drop us a line at support at pilotedge.net, and/or reach out to Duncan at Redbird. He's aware of how to make that work.

We have a special SimConnect event that the RB sims trigger since their PTT buttons don't register as a normal USB button press. As a result, the PTT configuration is very different for RB sims compared to most other configurations.

Keith
Thank you Keith, I'll do that.

John
John Cotton
Private/Instrument
KMHT
N44130
ichiphead

Post by ichiphead »

BTW, I got the PTT working a while back... Flight Sounds came out with a small add-on app called "PTT Mapper", and when you push the PTT button, it sticks a keypress into the input stream. (It's an obnoxious $29 USD, but it does work.) Then you set PE to transmit with the same keypress. Also, it's a good idea to set the PE icon properties to have the "run as administrator" checkbox checked. I'm happy with it, and I do think that using a PC headset results in lower audio quality versus using a real aviation headset and something like the Flightsound Dual.