Sky High #7: Timber!

Keith Smith

Sky High #7: Timber!

Post by Keith Smith »

Sky High Charters scenario #7 is now available for active members here: https://www.pilotedge.net/pages/skyhigh-7-timber

Rather than requiring RNAV capability, this scenic 2 leg trip in Montana allows non-RNAV aircraft to shoot a visual approach at the second destination. This scenario features a non-radar tracon at the departure airport and the opportunity for pilots to plan their own route and enroute altitudes.

Full scenario list and overview of Sky High Charters available here: https://www.pilotedge.net/pages/skyhigh ... -scenarios
MoOsSaA

Re: Sky High #7: Timber!

Post by MoOsSaA »

Hi Keith and everybody,

I wonder how to do the 2nd leg with visual approach ? What flight plan I have to file ? What is the rules about that ?
It’s still unclear for me

Many thanks
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

MoOsSaA wrote:Hi Keith and everybody,

I wonder how to do the 2nd leg with visual approach ? What flight plan I have to file ? What is the rules about that ?
It’s still unclear for me

Many thanks
Are you just asking about what a visual approach is? https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publica ... ion_4.html
The flight plan that you file has nothing to do with the approach, therefore it doesn't need to change. While pilots will sometimes file flight plans that include the IAF for their desired approach, it's certainly not required.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
MoOsSaA

Post by MoOsSaA »

Thank you for the link. In this case for example what I have to file in flight plan ? “LVM DCT” ? And what I have to ask ATC for the initial clearance call at Livingston ? Radar vector ?

Thanks
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

MoOsSaA wrote:Thank you for the link. In this case for example what I have to file in flight plan ? “LVM DCT” ? And what I have to ask ATC for the initial clearance call at Livingston ? Radar vector ?

Thanks
Never file “DCT” in a flight plan. The absence of an airway or procedure implies direct. You just have to ask for the visual approach when the time comes. I get the sense you might be overthinking one of the most basic aspects of IFR flight (the visual approach). It’s actually very simple and basically makes it like you’re flying VFR (although you’re still 100% an IFR aircraft).
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
MoOsSaA

Post by MoOsSaA »

Ok ! You right I’m probably overthinking.
I will try it thank you