[FIXED] Regarding the frequent FS9/X client crashes

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
Keith Smith

[FIXED] Regarding the frequent FS9/X client crashes

Post by Keith Smith »

While many of the problems that are reported here are generally related to account management issues, or minor technical issues with FSX (pause on task switch, the sim not being fully up and running, etc), it's pretty clear that something IS happening regarding the stability of the client.

I will make it a high priority to find out what is going on. We are hearing numerous reports of FSX client crashes. We will do our best to replicate and isloate this case and will post updates in this thread as things progress.

It goes without saying that if there is a fundamental issue with the pilot client, we MUST find it and fix it. Some small changes were made late in the development process to allow the PilotEdge client to peacefully co-exist with the stock Squawkbox 4 client from which the PE client was derived. Had these changes not been made, users with both pilot clients would see two com/transponder pop-up panels as well as a host of other issues, to lengthy to list here.

What we're hearing now are reports of PE pilot client crashes (not FSX crashes). I don't recall ever hearing of this during the testing that took place prior to Oct 1.

With the launch efforts now complete, I will focus on finding the cause of the pilot client issues and addressing them asap.

Again, I'll post my findings here as the process gets underway.
Keith Smith

Re: Regarding the FSX client crashes

Post by Keith Smith »

I just noticed that 2 people appeared to get disconnected at KCRQ (one was on final, the other was about to takeoff), right around the time a C421 (live traffic) was flying by.

We don't have a C421 in the model set. I'm wondering if the change to using the 172 as the default 'unknown' aircraft is causing an issue. That was also one of the late changes that was made for the PE client. Will investigate ASAP.
Keith Smith

Re: Regarding the FSX client crashes

Post by Keith Smith »

In the SHORT TERM, pilots are encouraged to set their multiplayer visibility as low as possible to minimize the chance of encountering a plane that isn't mapped.

This is a working theory, but there's lots of evidence to back it up, such as the fact that pilots cannot reconnect to the sim AFTER the crash for quite some time. it's because the offending plane is still within visible range.

Again, setting multiplayer visibility within the pilot client to a minimal figure will reduce the chances of this happening.

We should be able to fix this fairly quickly. In fact, I'm heading to the office to look at it right now.

Keith
Keith Smith

Re: Regarding the frequent FS9/X client crashes

Post by Keith Smith »

Hot on the trail of the issue...should have an update on the situation in the next 30 mins.
Keith Smith

Re: Regarding the frequent FS9/X client crashes

Post by Keith Smith »

Problem replicated and fixed. No additional download required, it was a server side web issue. A description of the issue will be posted later today.

For now, if anyone experiences a crash of the PE client itself (not FSX), please notify me immediately.
Keith Smith

Re: [FIXED] Regarding the frequent FS9/X client crashes

Post by Keith Smith »

We will work on identifying the users that were affected by this issue to let them know that it has ben resolved. I suspect that not all of them monitor this forum.
Dave Stankiewicz

Post by Dave Stankiewicz »

Keith,

That was me in the Katana on short final to KCRQ. The PE client stopped responding and kept crashing everytime i tried to restart it. Glad to hear you got it fixed! :mrgreen:
Dave High

Post by Dave High »

Keith,

Thanks for the updates and hard work on this subject. I will be online tomorrow(10OCT2011) to try it.

Again Thanks!

Dave High
N275DH|COA151
AviatorScott

Post by AviatorScott »

Was glad to see the fixit post on Facebook yesterday. Had a few minutes last night to get up and running and... Success. While I didn't stay on long because of other commitments, I was able to talk to the ground controller and both FSX and the PE client kept running until I shut them down. Hopefully this afternoon or this evening I'll try a full flight, especially since it looks like NorCAL weather isn't going to be condusive to flying this afternoon :)

Scott
Scott Woodland, PE, M.ASCE
PPL - ASEL -- IFR
TexFly

Post by TexFly »

Keith,

Do we still need to keep the multiplayer visibility at minimum?
Alex (N705AT)
Check out my sim: http://www.createandsolve.com