FSX and XPlane traffic

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
MXMiles

FSX and XPlane traffic

Post by MXMiles »

This isn't necesarily a technical issue I'm having but a point of curiosity for me. If this post is in the wrong thread I apologize in advance.

My question is, can users logged in via FSX see other traffic on the network logged in via Xplane?
Tim Krajcar

Re: FSX and XPlane traffic

Post by Tim Krajcar »

Yes, all users can see all the drones and other human traffic, regardless of their sim platform.
Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube
TexFly

Post by TexFly »

Tim,

Speaking of drones. Should we see the drones while we fly? or they are just there to populate the live map?

:D
Last edited by TexFly on Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex (N705AT)
Check out my sim: http://www.createandsolve.com
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Patrick,

Tim provided the answer, but I thought I'd give you this additional background. Think of the situation where someone sends you an email message. You don't know or care what email application they used to write that message (web, phone, outlook, etc). The email is sent to a series of servers and delivered to your mailbox, where you can read it on any number of devices.

PilotEdge works in a similar fashion. Lots of aircraft are connecting, using a variety of platforms and operating systems (in fact, the list will grow to include some very high end devices in the future), but ultimately, they're all just sending data to a server about the location and appearance of your aircraft. Once they're received by the server and sent out to everyone, the specific versionof the software that was used to generate that data just isn't relevant anymore.

You can visualize this a little better over at our How it Works page.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

TexFly wrote:Tim,

Speaking of drones. Should we see the drones while we fly? or they are just to populate the live map ;-)
That's on odd question, Alex. Yes, you should see the drones, and ATC will also point them out to you as traffic.

Forward to the 5:12 spot on this promo video to see some of the military drones in action
TexFly

Post by TexFly »

I asked because I haven't seen one yet!

I guess I need to fly more... :lol:

Thanks Keith.
Alex (N705AT)
Check out my sim: http://www.createandsolve.com
Dave Stankiewicz

Post by Dave Stankiewicz »

Last night i was flying from KSNA to KPSP in my Katana. As i was approaching the KRIV Class C, SOCAL came over the radio and informed me of numerous military operations in the area and that i could either deviate north or climb above the Charlie. I elected to deviate north to put as much space between myself and the "fast-movers". Sure enough, about 5 mins later i notice a pair of F-15's off my right wing climbing vertically directly over KRIV. Just some proof that you do, indeed, get traffic callouts from ATC and can also visually see the drone aircraft. I love this place! :mrgreen:
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Here's a shot of AAL30 (PE pilot and retired Forth Worth controller, Jerry M) arriving on the famous SADDE6 STAR into LAX.
aal30.png
aal30.png (7.94 KiB) Viewed 6452 times
He's been assigned an interim step down of 16k to allow for the criss crossing VFR traffic beneath him. Most of those are military formation flights, but the aircraft at 10.5k NW-bound was a Saratoga heading from the San Diego area up into Norcal.
Simon Ambrose

Post by Simon Ambrose »

Ref: Seeing Drones and other Aircraft.

Do not know about Xplane, but in the FSX Pilotedge client, under START:OPTIONS:MULTIPLAYER there is a slider, to set the "Range of planes added to the (YOUR) Multiplayer session"

This can be adjusted from as low as 2 nm, up to 100 nm.

If this is set low, you will only see other planes that fall withing that Radius of you.

Setting it down to 2 nm, and if you are keeping seperation, you should see NO OTHER Planes when you are flying.

HInt: If your PC is a little slow, and is struggling in FSX Multiplayer, reducing this range, so you only display traffic close to you, and this limit the number of planes you PC has to "Process", might help you get a better frame rate.

Simon