Sending ATC audio to the headset

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
Kevin_atc

Re: Sending ATC audio to the headset

Post by Kevin_atc »

Brian Ratledge wrote:Kevin,
That very well could be the case. The instructions do not allow for starting the client first: http://www.pilotedge.net/pages/connect-msfs
Have I misinterpreted the directions in this thread then?
Keith Smith wrote: 2) Start PilotEdge (do NOT connect, since the sim isn't running yet)

3) Now set the SPEAKERS to be the default playback device again (this won't affect PilotEdge, it was already running and has already opened up the headset as its audio device)

4) Start FS2004/FSX, position the aircraft at the ramp

5) Connect PilotEdge to the network. You should now have ambient noises from the speakers and ATC audio in the headset.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Brian Ratledge

Post by Brian Ratledge »

Maybe it does not matter then. I have no idea KC.
Brian Ratledge
Pilot Client Support Team
brian (at) pilotedge (dot) net
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

KS mentioned how he never tested this work-around method with FS2004. Maybe that's my issue.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Steve Caffey

Post by Steve Caffey »

kevin meyers wrote:KS mentioned how he never tested this work-around method with FS2004. Maybe that's my issue.
You on Windows 7 or XP?
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

Steve Caffey wrote:
kevin meyers wrote:KS mentioned how he never tested this work-around method with FS2004. Maybe that's my issue.
You on Windows 7 or XP?
7, 64bit
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I will try to test it with FS9 when I can to see if I can replicate this problem. I'd be surprised, though, because PilotEdge goes into a holding pattern if it can't talk to the sim. Once it can, it SHOULD be business as usual. KC said that he tested it several times each way, though, and the pattern was consistent, so that's pretty strong evidence.

KC, could you try leaving the speakers as the default sound device and try firing up FS9 first (the same order you'd follow if you had set the headset as the default) ? I'd like to see if the change in device selection is the culprit, or if it's the startup order.
Jeff N

Post by Jeff N »

Just wanted to report that I tried the Griffin iMic that Steven mentioned earlier in the thread and it worked like a charm. Just $25 on Amazon and it solved all my audio issues. Thanks Steve! Hearing ATC on the headset and all other sounds on the external speakers is a nice bump in realism.
Steven Winslow

Post by Steven Winslow »

Glad you like it. Yep, it sure is fun to hear the rumble of your engine and prop OUTSIDE of your headphones. I like to crank the sound when I extend and retract landing gear. With my subwoofer, I can actually feel the gear thud.
Steven Winslow
CEO/Owner - Air Northwest Virtual Airlines • http://www.airnorthwest.org
People should get what they want when they want it once in a while. Keeps them optimisitic.
wyokid

Post by wyokid »

This works great in Xplane 10 but the client isn't remembering my output preferences so I have to reset and restart xplane every time I reboot. Im on Windows 7 x64.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I suspect what's actually happening is that you're checking the setting when you come back into X-Plane, not clicking anything (because you see the right device selected), then you're pressing OK?

If that's the case, it's a known UI bug with X-Plane's SDK. I need to try to allow for it at some point.

For now, you visit the audio prefs screen, make sure you either CANCEL, or, be sure to click on the device and press OK. Never go into that screen and then click OK without selecting a device (even if the desired device already appears to be selected).