[Dec 17, Fri 6pm PST] KLAX - KLAS - KGCN

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Rauerb3

[Dec 17, Fri 6pm PST] KLAX - KLAS - KGCN

Post by Rauerb3 »

Aircraft Speed: ~450ktas
Flight Rules: IFR + VFR
IFR route to file: TBD

Details: You are cordially invited to an evening of opulence and breathtaking views. A large group of high-level executives is requesting pilots for a biz-jet shuttle. There are as many PAX as there are planes to fly, so EVERYONE should come out. There are a range of aircraft at the hangar , ranging from baby Learjet's to the hyper-luxury G550, and even an A319. We will fly from LAX to Las Vegas, where there will be a short layover for our captains of industry to eat a lavish dinner (where as I will order in from pizza-hut). From there, we will ferry to KGCN, where we will be met with a range of turboprops and helos to show our passengers the sites (VFR), before returning to KGCN.

Flights should expect to request clearence BY 6PM PST/9PM EST

See you there!

-Roger
Last edited by Rauerb3 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Smith

Re: [Dec 17, Fri 6pm PST] KSFO - KLAS - KGCN

Post by Keith Smith »

Sounds like a winner! Is it LAX - LAS or SFO - LAS?

450kias seems....steep :) Perhaps that's 450ktas? I don't know many planes that push more than about 330kias on a regular basis, outside of the military! If you need assistance with the route(s), just holler, any number of controllers will be happy to help with that here in the forum. simroutes.com is also a good place to go to find solid routes.
jollyroger

Post by jollyroger »

Well in keeping with my dual usage of this service as beta tester and something to keep my IFR skills in a piston aircraft sharp I may try and set up a flight that will hopefully intercept you guys on the way to LAS.
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

I'm down for it. I have a few craft in my inventory that can keep up with that formation.

So where are we meeting, and if we are flying in a group do we all need to file?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I see the correction on the airspeed, but the title of the message still contradicts the title. Is it SFO-LAS or LAX-LAS? You'll get ATC the whole way if you fly LAX-LAS.

If you're a formation flight, only one needs to file, and the others should squawk standby. That also means the other people won't be talking on the radio.
Rauerb3

Post by Rauerb3 »

Sorry guys, the title is in error. The flight will be LAX to LAS then GCN. I am putting together a dossier now, expect it to be up shortly.
Rauerb3

Post by Rauerb3 »

The route from LAX to LAS should be filed as: LOOP5 DAG KEPEC2
The route for FMS can be found here: http://www.simroutes.com/fb2/Details.aspx?PlanID=16396

Skyvector for LAS - GCN is: http://skyvector.com/?ll=36.00346987684 ... :A.K2.KGCN
I was planning VFR, however a route can be found here: http://www.simroutes.com/fb2/Details.aspx?PlanID=17407

As for formation v. individual filing, it makes no difference to me, though I suspect we would have fun flying as a group. At 6EST/9PST I will be on 123.45 at LAX and we can discuss it there before talking to tower.

See you there

-Roger
Keith Smith

Re: [Dec 17, Fri 6pm PST] KLAX - KLAS - KGCN

Post by Keith Smith »

If people can go either way, I would recommend filing separately as it will generate some radio traffic and give something for everyone to do, pilots and atc alike.

That, and formation at 120kts is nontrivial for people who have not flown together or done it often. 400 plus in formation without com2 will probably not have the desired outcome :)

Wish I could join you, but unable while on vacation without my rig!
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

That was a pretty good flight, weather was hell though. I got up to 17500 (max height that I could still be VFR) and was on top of the weather (even though I busted a lotsa regs getting there.) Got almost all the way to Lost Wages before the USB controller that powers most of my control panel and radios went out, so I had to save the situation and restart the main computer on my simulator, then pick up enroute.

Landing at Las Vegas went ok, departure and enroute to Grand Canyon was great (dark and rainy, but great.) I was descending for Runway 3, just starting to turn to catch the ILS approach when I dropped too much flaps for my speed. Xplanes ripped off the left flap while I was totally IFR, the plane rolled inverted before I could retract the flaps, and I ran into a bit of cumulus-granite about 5 miles short of Grand Canyon. Doh!

Other than the smoking hole in the desert, the flight went fine. :D
Alex Stjepanovic

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

Glad you enjoyed those 300ft ceilings :D