[Apr 7 2-5p PDT] PE EVENT: Sheltered Existence

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Keith Smith

[Apr 7 2-5p PDT] PE EVENT: Sheltered Existence

Post by Keith Smith »

If you haven't visited Shelter Cove up in Norcal, you've been missing out on one of the most scenic parts of the west coast!

PilotEdge is pleased to announced Sheltered Existence, featuring a 180nm hop from:
San Carlos (KSQL),
to Sonoma County (KSTS),
finishing up at the always beautiful Shelter Cove (0Q5)

Here's the plan:
- advise San Carlos ground you'd like a Bravo transition with flight following to Sonoma County (KSTS). They'll issue a squawk code (it's better to do this on the ground as it reduces the radio congestion with SFO twr, which is very busy in the real world). They will NOT issue a Bravo clearance, but the leg work will be done.

- takeoff and head northwest along highway 101 and contact SFO twr, they'll be expecting you. You'll already be in the system and on the squawk code so they'll identify you quickly and get you cleared into the Bravo, maintaining VFR at 1500, keeping highway 101 on your right (basically, you fly just west of the airport). Alternatively, you can head west out of San Carlos to the coast and scoot below the Bravo up to the GG Bridge without the Bravo transition.

- head up to the Golden Gate Bridge then proceed VFR to Santa Rosa. Land at Santa Rosa to pick up fresh batteries from the Sonoma Jet Center for your passenger's camera which promptly died while you were over the GG Bridge.

- Depart KSTS and enjoy the view of the reservoir near GETER (I know I did!) before continuing north towards Ukiah (KUKI) then heading west to the coast and onto Shelter Cove

If it isn't VFR upon arriving at Shelter Cove, feel free to divert to Little River to Ells Field-Willits if you're RNAV equipped, otherwise, head back to Ukiah.

This was the last real world flight I conducted in Norcal before moving to the east coast, the sights and sounds from which remain embedded in my brain forever (pics and flight log are available here).

Picking up batteries at the Sonoma Jet Center:

Arriving at Shelter Cove:
arb65912

Re: [Apr 7 2-5p PDT] PE EVENT: Sheltered Existence

Post by arb65912 »

Wow!!!!! Great.. :D We will have ZOA open on Easter?
It would be 5:00-8:00 EDT, correct?

Better start studying the SFO TAC. :D
Orest Skrypuch

Post by Orest Skrypuch »

Did you mean 8th April?

If so, I'm IN! Sounds like excellent fun. Shelter Cove does not have fuel, but Ukiah does.

* Orest
PP/ASEL/IR, Piper Dakota (PA28-236) C-FCPO
President & CEO, UVA, http://www.united-virtual.com
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Fixed date in subject, thx Orest.

Yes, 5-8pm eastern. The zulu times are in the event graphic already.
AviatorScott

Post by AviatorScott »

The real world San Carlos to Sonoma trip through that Bravo airspace is always fun. Especially when they have you cross the airport rather than keeping it off the right wing 8-)
I've spent a lot of time in and out of the Sonona Jet Center too, always great people there. I keep meaning to do that Shelter Cove trip, so maybe I'll do it virtually before R.L.

Scott
Scott Woodland, PE, M.ASCE
PPL - ASEL -- IFR
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Here's a sample transcript and procedural walk-through for those who would like some guidance on flying this event:

Leg 1: SQL - STS via the SFO Bravo

Route map: http://bit.ly/HeZqpO

High level plan: depart San Carlos (KSQL), transition the SFO Bravo with flight following to Sonoma County (KSTS). We'll be talking to San Carlos ground, then tower, then SFO tower, then norcal departure on several frequencies that will be provided for us, then handed off to Sonoma County tower.

Transcript and procedures:
- use the San Francisco TAC chart on skyvector (use the route map link above), zoom in on SQL and SFO for now (note the highway passing just west of SFO, that's Highway 101)
- pick up the ATIS for SQL
- think before we call...where are, who are we and what do you we want? For the 'where are we', looking at the SQL Airport Facility Diagram we will either be on the SW or NE side of the runway, so make the call relative to that...

- contact SQL ground, 121.60, "San Carlos Ground, Skyhawk 123AB, southwest side of the field with [ATIS code], request taxi for VFR to Sonoma County, request flight following and Bravo transition."

"Cessna 3AB, San Carlos Ground, runway 30 taxi via Juliet, Kilo Golf and I have your request."

For brevity, I'll skip our responses unless there's anything meaningful.

Then, shortly after:
"Cessna 3AB, maintain VFR west of highway 101 at 1500, remain outside of the Bravo until advised, squawk 1234."

Pulling up to the runway, we swap to San Carlos tower frequency and call with:
"San Carlos Tower, Skyhawk 123AB, short of runway 30, VFR to Sonoma County."

"Skyhawk 3AB, San Carlos tower, straight out departure approved, runway 30 cleared for takeoff."

Off we go. Once clear of the pattern, we jog slightly left to get onto the left side of Highway 101 and we climb to 1500ft.

"Skyhawk 3AB, remain outside Bravo airspace until advised, contact San Francisco Tower 120.50"

We respond and swap to SFO tower, listen for a few seconds for any activity (you'd be shocked how many people just chime right in over the top of an existing conversation)...

"San Francisco Tower, Skyhawk 123AB, level 1500 just out of San Carlos." DO NOT repeat your request, we already know you're coming, that was the point of coordinating it on the ground. We do need your altitude, though.

"Skyhawk 3AB, San Francisco Tower, ident."

Hit the ident button and say, "ident, Skyhawk 3AB."

"Skyhawk 3AB, radar contact 2 miles southwest of Bay Meadows, cleared into Bravo airspace, maintain VFR at 1500, remain west of Highway 101. SFO alt [altimeter setting]"

"Cleared into the Bravo, west of 101 at 1500, N3AB."

Woohoo! Enjoy the view.

Continue over the hill, ATC will eventually remove the altitude restriction entirely or give you something less restrictive, and then hand you off to Norcal departure:
"Cessna 3AB, maintain VFR at or below 4500, contact norcal approach 135.10."

Read it back, change to 135.10, make the call:
"Norcal approach, Skyhawk 123AB 1500 climbing 4500."

"Skyhawk 3AB, Norcal approach, roger, San Francisco altimeter [altimeter setting]."

And so it continues, all the way to Sonoma County. At some point, ATC will tell you when you're leaving the Bravo airspace. This is important for the pilot because:
1) it means ATC is no longer providing positive separation (that means you need to put the magazine down and pay more attention) :)

2) it means the VFR minimums just got more conservative (3 miles vis, 1000ft above, 500ft below or 2000ft laterally from clouds instead of 3 miles vis and "remain clear of clouds" that we were enjoying in the Bravo).

We'll probably be handed to Oakland Center at some point...don't worry it's just a matter of changing freqs and checking in with your altitude.

Next thing we hear, "Skyhawk 3AB, Sonoma County 12 oclock 8 miles, advise when you have it in sight."

"In sight, N3AB."

"Skyhawk 3AB, radar services terminated, remain on your present beacon code, contact Santa Rosa Tower 118.50." OR
"Skyhawk 3AB, radar services terminated, squawk VFR, contact Santa Rosa Tower 118.50."

Note: radar services are no longer being provided. In the second case, they have no radar to speak of, they use binoculars, smoke signals, and stone-etched tables written in cuneiform. Nothing wrong with that! :)

"Santa Rosa Tower, Skyhawk 123AB 6 southeast, landing with [atis code]" or check in with "negative ATIS" if you weren't able to get the weather prior to swapping over.

"Skyhawk 3AB, Santa Rosa Tower, report 2 mile straight-in for runway 30."

On a 2 mile final, we call with:
"Tower, N3AB, 2 miles out for runway 30"

"Skyhawk 3AB, wind [winds], runway 30 cleared to land."

You'll either be handed to ground, or tower will ask where you're parking (Sonoma Jet Center, baby!) and send you there himself via one or more taxiways.

I'll make a separate post for Leg 2.
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

- pick up the ATIS for SQL
Keith, can you check if ATIS for SQL works, I have tried few times recently with no luck, if it works is it 125.9?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

That's purely dependent on your sim, it's not something that PE controls.
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

I guess I misunderstood the concept, I thought that ATIS os also assigned on PE , not X-Plane. Thanks, not a biggie, there are other sources. Getting my Medical tomorrow, will be able to use DUATS. :D
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The event has been moved to Saturday, same time, so as not to conflict with Easter Sunday when fewer people were likely to be available.