ZLA Tour!

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Juan B

ZLA Tour!

Post by Juan B »

Hi all,

I was reading yesterday and found that the same way there is a bicycle Tour de France there is one for aircraft too!

So I decided to mimic it as much as possible within ZLA so it’s the ZLA Tour! My understanding is that it’s not so much of a race but meeting the published times. You have to reach the checkpoints within a certain time and if not you earn points. Same applies to the route, if you don’t fly it accurately you will earn points. At the end, the pilot with less points wins. Unfortunately I cannot offer a prize to the winner but I think it can be good fun.

If you’d like to participate send me a PM with your aircraft type and tail number.

The stages are about 2 hours long and you’ll have from Tuesday to Sunday to fly it (more instructions below).

Instructions:
-Depart the designated departure airport and start your timer on takeoff roll.
-Make a note of your time over each checkpoint.
-When you land at an airport make note of your touchdown time and reset your timer. Start again from zero on departure.
-Flight following is encouraged but not required.
-Stages will be around 1:30-2 hours long but of course you can split that between stop-over airports as you wish.
-Any penalisations you receive will earn you points. The pilot with less points at the end of the tour wins.
-After your flight, send me a PM with your times at every checkpoint

Rules:
-Any aircraft is valid as long as it can cruise at at least 100kts.
-All flights must be VFR.
-You will have from Tuesday to Sunday to fly the designated stage.
-Submit a VFR flight plan so your flight can be tracked by PEaware
-Any aircraft arriving at checkpoints before or after the designated time period will be penalised.
-Any aircraft leaving the planned course by more than 3 nautical miles will be penalised.
-Any penalisations you receive will earn you points. The pilot with less points at the end of the tour wins.

-Missing the published times by <3 minutes - 1 point
-Missing the published times by >3 and <6 minutes - 2 points
-Missing the published times by >6 minutes - 3 points
-Going offcourse the published route - 5 points

Btw, I just made all of that up so if anyone has any suggestions they are welcome!

I will post the first stage soon.

Any questions or suggestions let me know,
-Juan