[January 17th 08:00pm PST] Westcoast fly-in: KVNY to KOKB

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
djrisc

Re: [January 17th 08:00pm PST] Westcoast fly-in: KVNY to KOK

Post by djrisc »

Ok this is frightening, looking at my traveled route on the map on PE, Keith vectored me to Oceanside and I passed almost right over my inlaws house. (Missing it by only 4000ft, under a mile on the map.) bravo Keith, bravo. lol ;)

Also huge thanks to Keith for the awesome ATC! Sounded like you got a workout tonight. hehe

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
PE: Skyhawk C172 - N8979T
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

djrisc wrote:...and I passed almost right over my inlaws house.
No comment :)
djrisc wrote: Also huge thanks to Keith for the awesome ATC! Sounded like you got a workout tonight. hehe
Totally agree.

I hope to keep this thread alive after I listen to the recordings again from last night, make some more notes, and will happily post them here.

Also, see here :lol:

Finally, if multiple pilots start assembling at the destination airport, may I suggest a protocol that, once we're on the ground and parked, we switch our primary radio to to 123.45 for an informal debrief / champagne celebration ? To do this, I believe that we would move the the CTAF to COM2, put 123.45 on COM1, and set monitor to BOTH. Especially in the light of this. I think doing it that way, we can still hear pilots who are hovering around, but we'd be talking informally on the pilot-to-pilot freq (technical corrections to this approach welcomed). Or, if we end up at a towered airport, we can monitor Ground/Tower on COM2, while still listening/talking to our fly in chums on COM1.

Brett, you mentioned LAS. So how about KIPF up to Vegas for the next one for a little night out on the town? :) IFR along V237, it's probably a 40/45 min flight in a single prop. So say an hour, with planning/prep, taxi, climb, etc. (and I'll come to the party in my single piston this time!). We should set some targets too, e.g. be online by 2000hrs PST, be filed by 2005hrs, request taxi by 2010hrs, be airborne by 2015, etc. (those times obviously mean considerable flight planning and research is done offline/prior). It's just an idea. To be honest, I'm up for anything. :)
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

PE only supports one active com radio at a time.

If you want to chat and monitor a frequency (use great caution with this approach, it can become overwhelming fairly quickly), the DTP TeamSpeak is a good way to go.
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Thanks, Keith. Good to know. I haven't become familiar with the DTP TeamSpeak site/process yet, but maybe that's what we can plan to do after each fly-in then (Brett?).

So just to clarify, the "BOTH" button on the comm stack has no real function while on PE, correct?
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Cyrus,
if COM1 is selected, PE will transmit and receive COM1.
if COM2 is selected, PE will transmit and receive COM2.
if 'both' are selected (in v0.9.1), PE will transmit and receive on the selected radio. You'll be able to receive the simulator-generated ATIS (in FSX) on the other radio.

That info is from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=789

If you're able to attend any workshops, that will require hopping on the DTP TS. Instructions for doing so are available on the workshop announcement on the front page: http://www.pilotedge.net/news/pilotedge ... -workshops
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

Cyrus,
KIPF to KLAS it is! That will be the flight for this next week. I will also work on sending out info to do dual comms using DTP TS, so we don't cause trouble on PE.

See you there!

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
PE: Skyhawk C172 - N8979T
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Good deal. I'm in. Offline/async planning suffice? VFR or IFR? I'll check out some routes... you'll start a new thread?